• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nasal/respiratory issues

tashakatie

Young Bun
I noticed 2 days ago clear and slightly whitish discharge from Franks right nostril after a sneezing fit of about 10 sneezes in a row. Previous to this no history of sneezing or discharge.
Nothing has changed- he lives indoor free roam living room/kitchen plus an open cage he uses as a litter tray with small amount of back2nature and hay. He lives with Olive who so far has no symptoms or issues at all.

Started him on Baytril today to try for a week and see if any improvement. Doubtful this will work as feel it is more complicated than a mild infection which baytril could cure.

Wondering if anyone has had similar experiences, what you decided to do and what the outcome was??
Frank is insured so nothing is an issue. Just feeling a bit overwhelmed and would appreciate some opinions.

Last edited:
I noticed 2 days ago clear and slightly whitish discharge from Franks right nostril after a sneezing fit of about 10 sneezes in a row. Previous to this no history of sneezing or discharge.
Nothing has changed- he lives indoor free roam living room/kitchen plus an open cage he uses as a litter tray with small amount of back2nature and hay. He lives with Olive who so far has no symptoms or issues at all.

Took him to the vets where I work that evening- vet I trust looked him over and adv as early days just to monitor.
Took him to work with me for the past few days- no further sneezing fits jus the occasional one sneeze on its own- however discharge still present in just the right nostril- mostly clear but occasionally v small amounts of whitish discharge.
Worried about pasturella, foreign bodies or allergies.

Vet has offered me everything under the sun as I am a VCA starting as a student vet nurse soon so he's given me all options available but if I'm honest I'd rather him tell me exactly what to d as I'm really unsure!!
Started him on Baytril today to try for a week and see if any improvement.

Wondering if anyone has had similar experiences, what you decided to do and what the outcome was??
Frank is insured so nothing is an issue. Just feeling a bit overwhelmed and would appreciate some opinions.

If the discharge is from just one nostril it could be that he got a FB up his nose, a bit of hay for example. URTI usually involve discharge from both nostrils. He may have sneezed the FB out but there may have been some damage done to the lining of the nostril and it could now be inflamed/infected. If there is no improvement at all after a week of Baytril then the Vet may want to investigate further re the possibility of a FB- ie endoscopic examination of his nasal passages and swabs for MC+S

A NSAID such as Metacam may be useful if there is inflammation of the lining of the effected nostril.

Tooth root problems (elongated tooth roots) can also cause sneezing/nasal discharge. Skull radiographs are needed to assess the tooth roots.

This is where I am concerned- as it is just the one nostril I am leaning more toward FB however have no endoscopy facilities anywhere near me.

In regards to culture and sensitivity vet has recommended holding off on this as I caught it early he is concerned about false negative results. Very doubtful that it is infection anyway but still hoping it will be that as opposed to FB as I'm worried about this travelling further up and causing neurological issues.

Really concerned and worried ��

This is where I am concerned- as it is just the one nostril I am leaning more toward FB however have no endoscopy facilities anywhere near me.

In regards to culture and sensitivity vet has recommended holding off on this as I caught it early he is concerned about false negative results. Very doubtful that it is infection anyway but still hoping it will be that as opposed to FB as I'm worried about this travelling further up and causing neurological issues.

Try not to start thinking worse case scenarios, I know it's hard not to though, I do it myself ! Hopefully the Baytril will bring about improvement, the Vet may want to extend the course for more than 7 days if Frank's nasal discharge does improve after a few days on it. It's usually necessary to continue treatment for a few days AFTER symptoms fully resolve.

I agree with you, sounds like a foreign body with it being from one nostril only.

I would give him the Baytril - maybe extending the course ... my vet only gives 8 days courses, but often that's nowhere near long enough if it's an infection.

Then watch and wait and see what happens. That's what I would do anyway :D

Good luck xx

**UPDATE**
So Frank had a nasolacrimal (tear duct) flush a few days ago as his symptoms were persisting despite ABs.
This flushed well through his nose and only a small amount of white discharge was passed.
Following this he has improved slightly although still not back to normal.

He is well in himself eating, drinking, toileting and acting normal however he still sneezes and has mild discharge- although no where near as much as before and only clear discharge now no more white stuff!

All 3 other bunnies are absolutely fine with no symptoms so don't think it's anything contagious.
Will update again if any further progress ��

**UPDATE**
So Frank had a nasolacrimal (tear duct) flush a few days ago as his symptoms were persisting despite ABs.
This flushed well through his nose and only a small amount of white discharge was passed.

He is well in himself eating, drinking, toileting and acting normal however he still sneezes and has mild discharge- although no where near as much as before and only clear discharge now no more white stuff!

All 3 other bunnies are absolutely fine with no symptoms so don't think it's anything contagious.

I hope that Frank continues to remain well within himself. Is he due back at the Vet again ?

**UPDATE**

Thank you for updating on Frank.

Tear duct flushing is often not completely successful but it's great that our vets can do this :D

Been back today as come to the end of the 7 day baytril course.
Frank is no better or worse.

Thinking unlikely to be a FB at this point. Changed to sulfatrim for 7 days and bisolvon. Trying steam therapy (hot steamy shower with bunny in the room to try and help open airways)
If no improvement or any deterioration going for nebulisation and X-rays of head and chest.

Thinking this may be a chronic thing that may not go away but could be managed. If ABs do nothing I will wait to weeks post ABs and get a nasal swab done but still don't think this is going to be particularly accurate

Been back today as come to the end of the 7 day baytril course.
Frank is no better or worse.

Thinking unlikely to be a FB at this point. Changed to sulfatrim for 7 days and bisolvon. Trying steam therapy (hot steamy shower with bunny in the room to try and help open airways)
If no improvement or any deterioration going for nebulisation and X-rays of head and chest.

Thinking this may be a chronic thing that may not go away but could be managed. If ABs do nothing I will wait to weeks post ABs and get a nasal swab done but still don't think this is going to be particularly accurate

I hope that Frank remains well within himself and that the Vet will eventually be able to identify the cause of his sneezing. If you do opt for having swabs taken then I'd ask for them to be done when he is under GA for the Xrays (if he goes on to have them). The nasal swabs need to be taken from deep in the nasal passages and this is not possible when the Rabbit is awake.

In some cases the use of antibiotic nasal drops may be an option. This targets the site of infection directly. Perhaps you could ask the Vet about it ?

Thankyou.
Yes swabs would definitely be done under GA!! No doubt about that.
We did try this I can't remember which AB- but he really didn't tolerate it at all so we decided to settle with sulfatrim oral.

Did our first steam therapy session last night and it really does seem to have helped!! No where near as much sneezing although that could also be down to the change in ABs. Either way, fingers crossed- hoping for the best ��

Thankyou.
We did try this I can't remember which AB- but he really didn't tolerate it at all so we decided to settle with sulfatrim oral.

Did our first steam therapy session last night and it really does seem to have helped!! No where near as much sneezing although that could also be down to the change in ABs. Either way, fingers crossed- hoping for the best ��

I hope that the improvement continues xx

Thankyou.

It sounds like you've taken charge of Frank's treatment and he's making progress. Well done for all your hard work!
I really hope he continues to improve :D

So I don't know which aspect of his treatment it is- but ssomething has made an improvement. Much less sneezing. Some days none at all! Some days one or two. Some days maximum 1 sneezing 'fit'.
Discharge now completely clear and much less in volume, but has started to come from other nostril- at least that indicates it's less likely to be a foreign body.
Doing well in himself EDUF all fine and not needing metacam at the moment (aside from if he has a sneezing fit in which case I give him a small dose).

Going to see how he goes with a week off the ABs as he has finished his weeks course of sulfatrim- if any decline he will be back on ASAP and we will be going ahead with radiographs and swabs for C&S.
Hopefully though this is not needed!

Again, I'll update further if there is any news. Thanks for all following along with this, it's nice to have people listen who are as crazy about buns as me (but also knowledgable people too!) ��

So I don't know which aspect of his treatment it is- but ssomething has made an improvement. Much less sneezing. Some days none at all! Some days one or two. Some days maximum 1 sneezing 'fit'.
Discharge now completely clear and much less in volume, but has started to come from other nostril- at least that indicates it's less likely to be a foreign body.
Doing well in himself EDUF all fine and not needing metacam at the moment (aside from if he has a sneezing fit in which case I give him a small dose).

Going to see how he goes with a week off the ABs as he has finished his weeks course of sulfatrim- if any decline he will be back on ASAP and we will be going ahead with radiographs and swabs for C&S.

Again, I'll update further if there is any news. Thanks for all following along with this, it's nice to have people listen who are as crazy about buns as me (but also knowledgable people too!) ��

Thank you for updating, and I'm glad the news so far is good :thumb:

We'll always be here for you. Not always knowledgable, but supportive anyway :D

Really pleased to hear that there has been some improvement. Great that he's doing well within himself too xx

Back