• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and rats being friends?

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
I was curious...
Dose anyone have rats that they allow around their rabbits? Do they play and get along etc?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'd never risk it. Rats are predatory towards rabbits and believe me they can do damage with those teeth. (I have a hormonal ratty at the minute who needs two things removing - he bit me about 3 weeks ago and I still have a huge mark on my hand!).

Plus - rabbits are big and one wrong jump and 'thwack!' - that would be it for the rat! My rats have always been kept away from other small animals. They just don't need to 'play' as we perceive it. It's too much of a risk.

I have both but they are never allowed out together. The rats would attack the rabbits so I'd never risk them being together. One of my rats once got off my bed onto the floor without me realising (the rabbits free range in my room) and he chased one of my rabbits across the room. Fortunately I caught him straight away so he didn't have chance to catch her. It's a mistake I won't let happen again so I don't allow them on the bed now. They are caged in my room but the cage is on a stand so nobody gets bitten through the bars.
I've always found that rats will bite an animal. My dog had made the mistake to poke her nose up the bars before they were in my room and got a nasty shock!

All my rats have been friendly and inquisitive towards the bunnies, they've shared the same room (rats caged, bunnies free range) but I've never allowed them to interact. If a bunny jumps on the bed whilst the ratties are out I make sure I'm always there so I can nudge them off as I'm scared of the rabbit biting the rat, with them being a lot smaller and could be a delicate area like their little feet or tails. I had a critter 3 cage at one point and also put mesh and small pen panels around the bottom so neither could nip each other through the bars. I wouldn't risk it incase either was bitten as they could do some damage.

Thanks for the replies. We were debating rats once all the hamsters & gerbils are gone.
The girls are free range when we're home and get shut in for an hour at night for small furries to exercise but I know rats will want a lot more interaction than an hour every night.

I think this has convinced we wouldn't have the time for rats and free range rabbits. So I think I'll stick to my little hammie if we get small furries again after this group.

6 years ago my old rat Eddie got close to the bunny cage and bit my old Darcie on the nose.. He had the scar all his life, bless him. He was a little scar face!! Never ever trust rats and rabbits together, ever again.

I have rats and rabbits and mine won't be allowed to interact at all either. Rats are just too powerful for it to be worth the risk.

I have let some hamsters interact with my rabbits (Charlie loved one of my syrian hamsters, the hamster would groom him!) but rats are too clever and good at making their own decisions.

I know you've had a lot of replies to this thread and already decided not to get rats, but for the benefit of others just thought I'd add. Definitely not. As part of the animal welfare act not only do social animals need to be kept together, but animals also need to be kept apart from others where they are solitary (eg Syrian hamsters, or interspecies mixing which can cause an animal to come to harm).

The part of the act that stipulates this:
need to be housed with, or apart, from other animals

Rodents and lagomorphs can (and often do!) carry zoonotic diseases, so apart from the very obvious physical harm that animals can do to each other it's in our duty of care to prevent and protect against zoonoses as much as possible. Obviously disinfection and hygiene are a part of this when keeping several species of animals, but physical contact is a very good way of spreading pathogens. To anyone who does let species out together, no matter how well you think you know your pets, and how quickly you think you can split up should a fight occur, you do have a duty of care to prevent this happening in the first place and take steps to prevent incidents - which basically means not putting them in the situation in the first place :wave:

I know you've had a lot of replies to this thread and already decided not to get rats, but for the benefit of others just thought I'd add. Definitely not. As part of the animal welfare act not only do social animals need to be kept together, but animals also need to be kept apart from others where they are solitary (eg Syrian hamsters, or interspecies mixing which can cause an animal to come to harm).

The part of the act that stipulates this:

Rodents and lagomorphs can (and often do!) carry zoonotic diseases, so apart from the very obvious physical harm that animals can do to each other it's in our duty of care to prevent and protect against zoonoses as much as possible. Obviously disinfection and hygiene are a part of this when keeping several species of animals, but physical contact is a very good way of spreading pathogens. To anyone who does let species out together, no matter how well you think you know your pets, and how quickly you think you can split up should a fight occur, you do have a duty of care to prevent this happening in the first place and take steps to prevent incidents - which basically means not putting them in the situation in the first place :wave:

I'm sure everyone here is aware of animal welfare law.

I'm especially sure of it as I had to study it for 5 years.

Thanks for the replies. We were debating rats once all the hamsters & gerbils are gone.
The girls are free range when we're home and get shut in for an hour at night for small furries to exercise but I know rats will want a lot more interaction than an hour every night.

I think this has convinced we wouldn't have the time for rats and free range rabbits. So I think I'll stick to my little hammie if we get small furries again after this group.

Sounds sensible! I've often kept various small animals in the same room but it's not always easy to 'juggle' free range needs etc with everyone's safety. When I had Guinea pigs in the same room as the rats their hutch was double meshed so there was a good sized gap between the two meshes so that the rats couldn't get to the piggies. I still worried though!

Me too on the study front :wave: No need for the snippy comment though - some people are purposely still letting different species interact that can easily harm each other or spread zoonoses, and whilst it's completely up to them what they do with their pets, the law is there for a reason (including keeping animals away from others) for all the reasons I backed my post up with. :lol:

I'm sure everyone here is aware of animal welfare law.

I'm especially sure of it as I had to study it for 5 years.

Me too on the study front :wave: No need for the snippy comment though - some people are purposely still letting different species interact that can easily harm each other or spread zoonoses, and whilst it's completely up to them what they do with their pets, the law is there for a reason (including keeping animals away from others) for all the reasons I backed my post up with. :lol:

Sorry - felt like you were having a dig at me for even thinking of having rats & rabbits. (I'm quite defensive lately as M/H problems playing up).

Nope, the only silly question is one not asked! I would imagine it's a question a lot of people would like to know the answer to (I'm thinking searching threads and coming across this one) so I thought it best to highlight the reasons as much as poss. Often a simple no is useless without explanation (I find, anyway). Everyone here looks after their bunnies so well, but this one is often overlooked (as others have shown who've had accidents in which poor buns were hurt or chased and as a consequence frightened (freedom from fear and distress etc)). I think others will find this thread useful :love:

It doesn't matter how knowledgeable we are, or how much we study animal welfare we can all overlook things (I know I certainly have!). :wave:

Sorry - felt like you were having a dig at me for even thinking of having rats & rabbits. (I'm quite defensive lately as M/H problems playing up).

I kinda disagree. I don't think it's wrong exactly to let different species interact - it depends on different factors. Lots of my animals have interacted, I just use common sense when necessary. I'm aware of diseases etc so wouldn't let certain species interact or even near each other, depending on the diseases.

My rats haven't interacted with my rabbits but have with my ducks. Not directly though - through barriers e.g. glass/mesh/bars as obviously they could hurt each other. When I have my ducks in my room I let Miyoko play on my desk, windowsill etc so they can't interact directly. They certainly don't mind each other, Miyoko is even kinda friends with some of my ducks. It started back when I first got her and had her in a tank at first and they'd interact through the glass.

I haven't read all the comments so appologies if I missed anything. The main thing for me with close interaction would be the risk of a rabbit passing on bordetella onto a rat as they can often carry it without showing symptoms and it is as life threatening to a rat as it is guinea pigs. Similarly I have dogs and they are not allowed in the rat room after they have had their kennel cough vaccine as its live and they could potentially cause harm to the rats.

I keep both rabbits and rats.

Thanks guys. We wouldn't be getting them for a while and by then I would have hopefully moved into a four bedroom house so the rats will have their own room so no interaction with the rabbits. I may even go back to keeping ferrets - which would live in the garden well away from the rabbits.

Back