• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ikea wooden beds/homemade?

JessBun

Mama Doe
Has anyone made their own version of the Ikea wooden beds? I absolutely love them :love: Unfortunately we're on a tight budget at the mo and spending £16 on a bed is out of the question currently. We do have an old bed that the previous tenants left behind and wondered if we could use the wooden slats from it to make our own?

No idea what they're made from unfortunately (have no idea when it comes to wood..) but I did notice the Ikea beds had pine in them?? Worried about chewing, with either option.

Has anyone made their own version of the Ikea wooden beds? I absolutely love them :love: Unfortunately we're on a tight budget at the mo and spending £16 on a bed is out of the question currently. We do have an old bed that the previous tenants left behind and wondered if we could use the wooden slats from it to make our own?

No idea what they're made from unfortunately (have no idea when it comes to wood..) but I did notice the Ikea beds had pine in them?? Worried about chewing, with either option.

I want one for my bun to, and had thought of asking granddad to make one its just getting the wood etc and if he can do it

I made one. I thought why pay $20 for the ikea bed when I can just make one for free with the extra wood scraps I had laying around. I'm not a great carpenter and the wood was just a cheap grade of pine, so it's not as nice as the ikea bed, but it works and the bunnies have all loved it. As far as I'm aware using pine isn't a problem as long as it's not freshly cut/milled with the strong pine odor. Once it's had a chance to age and dry out, I think it's fine.

Thank you so much, Jbun :thumb: Glad yours was successful and your bunbops loved it :D Hopefully I can convince OH to make me one then, may need to tempt him with a roast dinner me thinks.. :love:

Found a photo of it. Just basic 1x2, 1x3, and 1x4 inch pine scraps with a plywood base. I also used a piece of foam flooring for the mattress, and it's wrapped in a cotton cloth.

p1010821-640x480-9110.jpg

Your bunnies are SO gorgeous :D Your lop looks so squishy :love: You can tell they absolutely love it, bless them. Hopefully it'll go down just as well here.

Back