• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Amy's Tummy

SJ_R

Mama Doe
Hello all, sorry I haven't been on in quite a while, but I think Amy is having an episode of gut stasis; she didn't want her breakfast this morning, nor a treat or even her pellets, and is quite alert but obviously uncomfortable and hunching. We'll be heading to the vet's soon, see what it is (and I'll remember this time to ask for painkillers, she had an episode before), but I am obviously anxious and thought I'd post here. I think I'll get her in the carrier now.

ETA: Back from the vet's. Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts, it is greatly appreciated. The vet examined her (including a thermometer somewhere intimate), checked her teeth, listened to her heart etc, and said that there didn't seem to be a blockage or any obvious infection. He gave her a couple of injections; a gut stimulant and an antibiotic/painkiller (emeprid and loxicom, if those mean anything specific), said that if she hadn't passed by this evening I could try her on some Critcal Care and to come in the morning for more treatment if nothing had happened by them. He seemed quite knowledgable and informative.

It's cage cleaning day so I'll go do that now. Mum can watch her whilst I'm busy.

Last edited:
Hello all, sorry I haven't been on in quite a while, but I think Amy is having an episode of gut stasis; she didn't want her breakfast this morning, nor a treat or even her pellets, and is quite alert but obviously uncomfortable and hunching. We'll be heading to the vet's soon, see what it is (and I'll remember this time to ask for painkillers), but I am obviously anxious and thought I'd post here. I think I'll get her in the carrier now.

Oh no!

Good vibes for her speedy recovery xx

The blanket shall be washed.

She's done a poo, is drinking and ate some kale I dipped in water, but no hay or pellets yet. She even begged me for a treat after my shower, an occasional habit I indulge her in, but didn't eat the treat when received. Hopefully she'll start eating before I go to bed.

She's done a poo, is drinking and ate some kale I dipped in water, but no hay or pellets yet. She even begged me for a treat after my shower, an occasional habit I indulge her in, but didn't eat the treat when received. Hopefully she'll start eating before I go to bed.

Poo output and some eating is great news !! I hope that the improvement continued overnight and that Amy is feeling much better now.

Eating and pooing are really good news, so I am sure she's well on the way to recovery :D

Thank you all again for your support. Once we got back from the vet Amy has acted pretty much like Amy since; alert, curious, slightly naughty. She's drinking, done some more poos (a couple squishy, but mostly normal), eaten some pellets and mint, but not much hay. I'd say she's 96%, 98% back to normal. I got her some herbal forage and alfalfa cubes, so hopefully she'll continue to improve.

Thank you all again for your support. Once we got back from the vet Amy has acted pretty much like Amy since; alert, curious, slightly naughty. She's drinking, done some more poos (a couple squishy, but mostly normal), eaten some pellets and mint, but not much hay. I'd say she's 96%, 98% back to normal. I got her some herbal forage and alfalfa cubes, so hopefully she'll continue to improve.

Brilliant news! Onwards and upwards sweet girl. Xxx

Good news :D

I hope she keeps up her improvement!

Back