• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Last Minute Housing Crisis!

Hi everyone,

First post on here so apologies if I do anything wrong.

OK, so I'm adopting my first ever rabbits tomorrow (it's currently 3 a.m.--this worry is stopping me from sleeping!) and I'm having a last minute panic about exactly how they'll be housed. I bought a hutch (the 6 ft version of this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252149425...49&var=551193099428&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT) but I currently have no cover for it and keep hearing awful, awful stories about foxes getting in and killing poor buns! I was thinking about getting a tarpaulin to cover the entire thing and weighing it down with bricks/flowerpots to stop foxes from being able to open the locks, but my main concern with that is that I'd probably have to keep it on all day once I start working (if I ever find a job, ugh), and I'm worried that the poor buns might overheat if I do this?

I really wanted to put the hutch into our shed but we have things in there and my parents said they don't want it in there. Unfortunately I'm living with them for another year or so, and so the decision isn't mine to make.

I know another perceived option is to keep them inside (I love the look of C and C cages!) but I really don't have the space for it, and besides, my parents really don't want them in the house.

I think I'm maybe panicking more than usual because the female is only a baby, just past 8 weeks, and I'm just terrified of anything happening to her! :cry: Any advice would mean the world!

With the weather right now going from rain to very hot I would be extremely careful with covering it and not leave it covered during the day unless you have heavy rain forecasted.... If your garden secure at all or do you get foxes in your garden?

Ive never had a fox issue in all the years ive had rabbits etc in hutches outside. Is foxes are a real issue some tarpauling wont stop one, they would rip it. If you can make the garden more secure it would be help.

Im sure someone will come along with more advice, I wouldnt fret too much about your bunny being outside with fox threats at this point, the chances are slim and you can once bunny is settled look into more secure accomodation if needed.

With the weather right now going from rain to very hot I would be extremely careful with covering it and not leave it covered during the day unless you have heavy rain forecasted.... If your garden secure at all or do you get foxes in your garden?

Ive never had a fox issue in all the years ive had rabbits etc in hutches outside. Is foxes are a real issue some tarpauling wont stop one, they would rip it. If you can make the garden more secure it would be help.

Im sure someone will come along with more advice, I wouldnt fret too much about your bunny being outside with fox threats at this point, the chances are slim and you can once bunny is settled look into more secure accomodation if needed.

Thanks for your swift reply. My garden is fairly secure, I've never actually seen a fox in our garden itself but I've seen them on our roads (and I can hear them crying every bloody night!) which is why I think I'm fretting. The neighbour's cats are always in our garden though (pretty sure they think they own it) so they're another worry for me.

You're exactly like me, always fretting at the ridiculous early hours of the morning! :lol: I agree with William, 16G welded mesh would be a great item to invest in to double wire the housing. Tarp's only use would be to keep the bunnies warm and dry, not much luck keeping out those pesky predators! You could also look into getting the spiked edging to go around your fence/wall in the garden, although if you have the cats there it might not be a solution at all :oops:? Or a fox watch which has worked for a good few people when wired to the mains so it's constantly going throughout the night? Unfortunately, I've had two awful incidents with foxes and that was due to poor mesh (all bunnies survived, just gave me and them quite the scare!). Since then mesh has definitely been a priority. Not sure what else I can say... if I think of anything else I'll drop it on here!

A tarp will do nothing to deter foxes and you are right to be worried. Although it is unlikely, it's still a danger to be wary of and one to take precautions against.

That hutch has various pictures and one of them includes mesh which is very large. The smallest you really want is 1 x 1/2 inch (preferably 1/2 x 1/2 inch) which some of those hutches have and some seem to have much larger spacing. If you have the larger spacing the first thing you want to do is mesh over it with galvanised weld mesh. You can find it easily on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GALVANISE...hash=item4d125b16ac:m:mNogDuqIJYmmC6jCmZ1t6Hg and all you then need is a staple gun for attaching it easily and some u shaped nails to secure it.

Additionally, some pad bolts on all the doors would be good. You can find them easily from b&q etc. Ideally 2 per door is good, and also if you buy some carabiner clips it will make a fox have a really really tough time to get into the doors.

Those hutches are also quite light, and a determined fox wouldn't have an awful lot of trouble lifting it. There's quite a few ways to secure it more... ideally attaching it to the ground, or a wall, or a shed etc would be good but if not some very heavy patio slabs placed around it to stop it being pushed around would be really good.

As long as you make it hard for a fox to get in they will often have a go and then give up. Just make it as hard as possible.

Also, that hutch unfortunately isn't big enough. The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund recommended a minimum of 6 x 2 x 2 ft 'bedroom' area, (i.e. hutch) and a permanently attached 8ft run.

Here's a couple of leaflets to give you some inspiration:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Basic20rabbit20set20up[1].pdf

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/RWAFsmallhutches-final.pdf

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/AHUTCHISNOTENOUGH-makeitrightfinal.pdf

A lot of people have had similar hutches to yourself and have decided to board over the bottom with plywood (you can get it from homebase etc and they will cut it to size for you) and then just attach a run. The hutch you have is not a bad size at all for a hutch, it's just the exercise area that you're lacking.

I wanted to say a big thank you for all of the responses. I'm looking into getting the buns a new hutch, something that I can attach a run too so they can come and go as they please. I purchased them an eglu that's meant to arrive tomorrow, but I've been reading some less-than-great things about them, so now I don't know if I'll be keeping it! But thank you for all of the info.

Not sure I like that rabbit hutch - its way too small. 80cm x 80cm is really tiny.

(However I did see the chicken coops they do... they're pretty cool)

Not sure I like that rabbit hutch - its way too small. 80cm x 80cm is really tiny.

(However I did see the chicken coops they do... they're pretty cool)

Yeah I was an idiot and read the measurements incorrectly--80cm is insanely tiny for two buns. Don't think I'll bother opening the package, it'll be going straight back.

If you need urgent housing, the best option is picking up a large dog crate locally and having them indoors... or using a spare room or section of room :)

Back