• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good idea or not?

Sammysdct

Young Bun
hello, :wave:

I have the possibility of taking Lolly Hop into my little girls nursery. There are about 15 children.

Lolly Hop has always been very confident around people, and loves children even when they are screaming right next to her. IMO she is a very special rabbit and I believe we have a strong bond. This is helped through training that I now do every night with her, teaching her simple commands and taking her through a homemade obstacle course. I have to do this otherwise she can become bored & destructive as I discovered the other night when I didn't do it. I can tell when she is getting over-excited with the training and normally calm her down by stroking her head. She settles down nearly instantly. This has proved very useful at the vets recently.

I was thinking that Lolly Hop could perform some of her tricks as well as run the obstacle course. I will be using various bits of forage for rewards. I could use the forage to show the huge variety in a rabbit's diet and can give them various other bits of information on rabbits. Such as demonstrating a proper holding technique.

If the lead training work carries on as well as it has been I should be able to demonstrate this as well.

I'm hoping that seeing Lolly Hop in this way will help to challenge their ideas about rabbits, especially if they have any 'hutch rabbits' fed cheap rabbit muesli and the occasional carrot at home.

It would be a fantastic opportunity to educate some young people about these very intelligent animals, but I don't want to put Lolly Hop through too much stress. I honestly believe that given her nature, she would take it in her stride and even enjoy getting to explore somewhere new.

Any thoughts?

Um, I don't know, it sounds like a nice idea and the children would love it, but it's difficult to know how she might react.

Years ago, I took my new puppy into my child's foundation class and I was a nervous wreck, lol. It was all fine though x

The uncertainty of doing things like this is of course usually to due with rabbits getting stressed out, since many rabbits stress easily, but given her nature I think it sounds fine. It's awesome that she's so confident and interested in training!

When I was in 2nd grade (there was about thirty 7-8 year olds in my class) my parents brought our rabbits to my class as a part of my school project about rabbits and it went well. my rabbits reacted well, the kids were fascinated and were quiet and allowed to stroke the rabbits.

I think teaching people - and probably especially kids - about animals is very rewarding and important for the people and animals. I love these sorts of 'educational displays' and would love to do my own! As you said, it can help with rabbit welfare and teach them that rabbits are active, intelligent animals that need more than a hutch.

It's certainly possible with the right rabbit and the right class. I'd suggest chatting with them before letting her out of the box as they won't listen once there is a live rabbit to watch. If it's a well taught class at that age they'll generally behave if you explain about loud noises being scary and to sit still and not grab/chase. Getting them to sit on the floor in a circle in a secure room and letting her make her own way out of the carrier to explore them gradually is what I'd do.

Tricks and jumps would be fun to see, but she may well not perform when there are so many new smells and people to meet. So I would keep it really simple with maybe one jump and one or two tricks and see how willing she is to focus on the day. Likewise, she maybe too busy to both with eating, so again that might be more something you could discuss talking about with the teacher e.g. they might want to do something on eating vegetables generally to tie in. At that age, I think I'd avoid too much forage talk as telling the difference between plants is a bit advanced.

Some children will have never seen a live animal up that close, so just being in touching range is a very exciting day for them without anything fancy! You might do better posing/answering questions that trying to give information as a talk. So things like asking what foods they eat, asking if they think rabbits eat that and then saying if they are right or not.

Never done anything like this, but would like the chance to try. I just see too many hutch rabbits around here.

You're right forage is a bit much. its my absolute passion at the moment. (You should have seen how excited I was when I found some Lambs quarters. :D)

Love the idea of asking about what they eat.

Will keep it fairly simple, out of carrier, through tunnel, platform, tunnel, stand at end. Maybe let them see her opening her drawers. If she seems focused enough do some simple leading with lure.

I might put a bag together with various bits you need for rabbit (Brushes, water bottle, bowl, hay, clean litter tray, toys, etc...). Either I'll get them to guess what each is for, or I could ask what they do in a day and show them the appropriate thing for her for the answers.

Think I'll ask the class teacher, as she'll be the best one to do the tie in stuff and will know what level the children are at.

Its great advise. Thank you.

Back