• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will pet boarding places make having the RHD2 vaccine mandatory and should they?

cpayne

Warren Veteran
I was sort of thinking aloud really. I wonder if where Doughnut goes will now be asking for this as I have to prove she's up to date on her vaccines, and if not maybe we would want it to be mandatory.

I think - at the moment - it's a little hard/unfair to make it mandatory as availability is still patchy at best. My vet hasn't been able to finalise the importing of RHD2 vaccines yet, and it does make me worried. It will be a weight off my mind when my lot are done and full immunity has been developed.

In the future, when regular supplies of RHD2 are available? Absolutely yes; any wise pet boarder should probably side its importance alongside the Myxo-VHD vaccinations.

However, I've never boarded my Rabbits and I think I would be fairly reluctant to do so. One of the nearest boarders to me regularly advertises on Facebook and it's all tiny hutches/runs. :shock:

Yes I'm lucky I have actually found a lovely place. When it's cold she stays in the house and becomes their house bunny instead of mine so has the run of downstairs like she does at home.

Yes I'm lucky I have actually found a lovely place. When it's cold she stays in the house and becomes their house bunny instead of mine so has the run of downstairs like she does at home.

Luxury indeed!

As a boarder, I would expect people to have given all the relevant vaccines to their rabbits. Of course it's really difficult right now as even my own vet doesn't have it, and doesn't have a date for when she might!

I know it's becoming expensive for people, but what price a bunny's life?

Luxury indeed!

As a boarder, I would expect people to have given all the relevant vaccines to their rabbits. Of course it's really difficult right now as even my own vet doesn't have it, and doesn't have a date for when she might!

I know the feeling - my current date from my vet is.... "I'll keep you updated." :(

Luxury indeed!

A pretty high one for us totally in love with our little fluffy ones :)

I have just asked friend who does boarding and she is going to start insisting on the new vaccine and is compiling lists of vets to send people to who have it in.

I have just asked friend who does boarding and she is going to start insisting on the new vaccine and is compiling lists of vets to send people to who have it in.

As soon as I know of a couple of local vets who are stocking I will do the same. In my T&C for a few month I have had a statement something to the effect of 'as soon as the vaccine is widely available I will endeavour to get my rabbit vaccinated'

Back