• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is shed insulation necessary?

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

My dh thinks we should give our new bun Buffy and her future husbun our 7x7 shed (and attach a run) as its in a perfect area of the garden. We would then get another shed for ourselves.

I've seen a few set ups where people have insulated their sheds with polystyrene / ply. If I plan on putting a hutch inside the shed also, will it be necessary to insulate too?

I think we could save a lot of money / time / effort, if we don't have to!

Thanks in advance x

I had the same question when we did our shed for the bunnies. I have to say I'm really pleased we did. Sheds get very hot in the summer months and with insulation in their shed it's lovely and cool and warm in the winter months too. You really do notice the difference. We used rolls of insulation that was foil covered bubble wrap from B&Q. It was very easy to install and will last years. We doubled up on insulation on the roof just to make sure it was fully insulated. :thumb:

I would definitely do it - sheds get insufferably hot in the summer and it will also help in the winter too, even with hutches inside for added cosiness. If they're ever shut in without access to the runs in summer then you will definitely need to do it as it would get way too hot inside even at night. Depending on how you do it, it doesn't need to be that expensive or fully ply lined though, although that's probably the ultimate in how to do it. I use that thermal silver bubble wrap stuff attached with a staple gun, and then just line round the lower part to stop little teeth from getting to it!

Ah ok, thank you for the tips. I'll look out for some of the foil bubble wrap.

Tbh, I hadn't thought about it being useful in the summer too! Also, if I could just cover it to a certain height, that would be better too.

Thanks x

Winter it depends where you are it gets a lot chillier up a mountain up north then down in cornwall :) It's your comfort too - it will be warmer if you're sitting out in winter.

In summer you could look at ventilation as an alternative eg. swapping windows and doors for mesh lined. I think a run is an important factor too - a cool, shady run then have full time access too and a warm shed isn't so big an issue.

I used the foil bubble wrap but also had one of those greenhouse heater things; the temperature never got below freezing.

Thank you both.

Yeah we aren't in a particularly cold part of the country. But your right, chilly enough to need some extra warmth when I want to sit in there with them.

Yes, the plan is to have 24/7 access to a run and to mesh the windows and have an internal mesh door, so we can leave it open :).

So much to do! x

I have decided not to insulate at the moment - my shed is still a work in progress as I've had other things taking up my time recently but I have decided to see how it goes without insulation and I can insulate at a later date if I feel it will be beneficial. My shed is for foster bunnies though so I have the option of having a break from fostering if I need time to carry out the work.

We insulated the playhouse against the sun: makes one hell of a difference! Cost us about £150 in materials, though we've loads left over for other projects. The roof especially is much cooler on the inside than the outside in full sun :)

Thank you. I think we will have to price everything up, I'm a bit :shock:

We are still working on the accommodation for our trio too. Our 12ft x 6ft run has arrived, but we need to buy tunnels to connect it to our existing hutch / run and lay the patio before hand.

Then we need to buy a run to go with Buffy's shed, and kit it out, the list goes on ........ x

Back