• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing Toffee

Pets mum

Wise Old Thumper
I'm just back from Canada visiting relatives, and buns were in the capable hands of OH, while I was away.Toffee, he of the ongoing dentals, had a dental just before I went, so his teeth are fine.
OH noticed that Toffee was sneezing a few times, but was ok otherwise. Since I've been home, he's had the occasional sneezing fit, but is eating, pooing and binkying like his normal happy self. Just to be on the safe side, I took him to the vets and she gave him a good examination. Chest, eyes, throat all seem fine, and his nose is dry, so didn't think he'd got hay stuck up there. She did think it might be hay fever, as the tree pollen is very high around here just now.
Both buns live indoors now, but their window had been open. I've since vacced them out every day, steam cleaned and wet wiped everywhere. He's not sneezing as much, but hasn't stopped completely.
Both of them are moulting like crazy, so it's difficult to keep on top of getting fur up all day, although I'm trying ! The problem seems worse when there is fur around.
Anyone any thoughts please ? Do you think it could just be the fur getting up his nose ? He still seems fine in himself. Don't know what else to do for him. It's a full time job keeping them dust and fur free :roll:

My Nancy sneezes. Before she started sneezing she had a mucky left eye which has been flushed on numerous occasions since last summer. We think she has tooth root issues on the left side as earlier this year some of the discharge was sent to the lab to be tested for infection but results were negstive. Currently her eye is clear but she still sneezes.

Other than the above she is in good health and it hasn't affected her appetite.

Might be worth asking about tear duct flushes if the sneezing gets worse.

I would be happy with the thoughts from your vet. I have a doe who sneezes quite a lot. Nothing ever comes out and she's fine in herself. It's something she has always done ever since I adopted her. It is always worse around moulting time and when she's been diving into the hay :)

Hi thanks for replies folks.
Den, the vet checked his eyes, said they were lovely and clear, but Toffee does have ongoing dental issues, so something to watch I guess.
Omi, this sounds exactly like Toffee, so makes me feel a little happier.
Thanks again :thumb:

Back