• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange vet appointment: 3 more done- rhd2 discussed

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
My buns are all booked in for their RAW health checks this week. Today was the turn of the quad.

Usually, I would take all 4 in a dog crate but that is temporarily being used by Persephone. So, 2 carriers. The rexes in one, Elphie and Morning the other. Elphie Flump then decided it was high time to mount Morning and remind her who's boss. :roll:

At the vets, meet a beautiful floofy magpie harlequin lop on his way out. Talk about my lot. Get into the appointment...

Elphie up first. Examined on the table. Decreed as being on the skinny side, but looking good. I ask to have her rear teeth examined. Tool isn't in the room. Elphie decides she's had enough, jumps over the carrier, onto the floor and gives everyone a heart attack. Her rear teeth have uneven wear but that's the same as previous exams have gone.

End up having all of the other 3 examined on the floor! Helios and Selene refused to come out of the carrier and snuck back in before being examined. Morning had a very good roam around the room. She's in perfect shape; Helios is slightly overweight and he and Selene have pesky rexy sore hocks (which I've been treating anyway!)

Still fun/interesting appointment. Athena, Apollo, and Seffy up tomorrow. Must remember to discuss RHD2 with Sacha (she called to say she has info) and to discuss/book Sef's spay.

Last edited:
My buns are all booked in for their RAW health checks this week. Today was the turn of the quad.

Usually, I would take all 4 in a dog crate but that is temporarily being used by Persephone. So, 2 carriers. The rexes in one, Elphie and Morning the other. Elphie Flump then decided it was high time to mount Morning and remind her who's boss. :roll:

At the vets, meet a beautiful floofy magpie harlequin lop on his way out. Talk about my lot. Get into the appointment...

Elphie up first. Examined on the table. Decreed as being on the skinny side, but looking good. I ask to have her rear teeth examined. Tool isn't in the room. Elphie decides she's had enough, jumps over the carrier, onto the floor and gives everyone a heart attack. Her rear teeth have uneven wear but that's the same as previous exams have gone.

End up having all of the other 3 examined on the floor! Helios and Selene refused to come out of the carrier and snuck back in before being examined. Morning had a very good roam around the room. She's in perfect shape; Helios is slightly overweight and he and Selene have pesky rexy sore hocks (which I've been treating anyway!)

Still fun/interesting appointment. Athena, Apollo, and Seffy up tomorrow. Must remember to discuss RHD2 with Sacha (she called to say she has info) and to discuss/book Sef's spay.

Sounds hilarious, with a slight hit of panic thrown in for good measure :shock:

My vet isn't doing anything for RAW so I am not tempted to go down your route :lol:

Today's appointment was much less weird! I think Sacha has more or less decided all my buns get examined on the floor! So I had more sit down appointments. Apollo was a nightmare to catch to put in the carrier with Athena. I really need to keep an eye on them for dental spurs as both have a dodgy back tooth. Sacha is in no rush to give them dentals though, so I just have to be aware and keep an eye on proceedings. Persephone HATED having her back teeth examined. Hers are good, but she's a young'un.

I also remembered to discuss RHD2. It'll cost me around £300 to get 10 rabbits done. (Included is Sef's currently hypothetical husbun.) Eek. I'm hoping they can come to some deal with it on HPC as 5 of them are on it. Anyway, I was also informed that each vial treats 5 NAMED rabbits. It's not available at the practice yet but they'll keep me updated.

Sef's also all booked in for her spay in 3 weeks time. I'm hoping this'll give her a little more growing time (if she's got more growing to do at all) and more settling into the household too. It'll mean she's ready for a husbun in early August, to factor in recovery. :)

Anyway, I was also informed that each vial treats 5 NAMED rabbits. It's not available at the practice yet but they'll keep me updated.

That doesn't sound right and isn't how other practices seem to be doing it - my vet has a special import certificate which just lists the number of doses they are allowed to have, it doesn't require any named individuals. As I understand it the wholesaler is also doing individual vials and not just bulk vials and that this was part of the negotiations that the RWAF had with the manufacturers when gearing up to get this product into the country...originally it was only available in vials of 50 which had to be used within 2 hours (where the main use in France was rabbit farms so this was the more economical way of doing it).

The special treatment certificate, which is a slightly different type of import certificate does require named animals, but that's not what is being used here. More info here (paras 19-21 re:SIC and para 25 re: named individuals for STC)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/424648/VMGNote05.PDF

Hope that makes sense - either way it sounds as if your vet is starting to get the ball rolling so fingers crossed they'll have it soon :)

That doesn't sound right and isn't how other practices seem to be doing it - my vet has a special import certificate which just lists the number of doses they are allowed to have, it doesn't require any named individuals. As I understand it the wholesaler is also doing individual vials and not just bulk vials and that this was part of the negotiations that the RWAF had with the manufacturers when gearing up to get this product into the country...originally it was only available in vials of 50 which had to be used within 2 hours (where the main use in France was rabbit farms so this was the more economical way of doing it).

The special treatment certificate, which is a slightly different type of import certificate does require named animals, but that's not what is being used here. More info here (paras 19-21 re:SIC and para 25 re: named individuals for STC)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/424648/VMGNote05.PDF

Hope that makes sense - either way it sounds as if your vet is starting to get the ball rolling so fingers crossed they'll have it soon :)

That's how I understand it too. Also, if Vets buy in the single dose vials instead of the 50 dose bottles the cost to the Practice is A LOT more, so the cost to the client will also be higher. Those offering vaccinations at the lower end of the price range are likely to be those who have the 50 dose bottles and are running 'Vaccination Clinics'

Back