• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Disappointing Experience at a Veterinary Surgery- Re RHD/RHD2

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Today we had reason to visit another Veterinary Surgery. As we were there I thought it might be a good idea to ask them if they were aware of the RHD2 situation and if they intended to obtain any of the Vaccine. Not only were they totally ignorant of RHD2 at all one of the Vets told me that a single vaccine against it was not necessary as the Nobivac Myxo-RHD Vaccine would protect the Rabbit against RHD2 too............................

The Vet made it clear that he was not open to any discussion about it, not unreasonable I suppose, I am not a client. So I asked the Practice Manager for their email address and I have just emailed all available information about RHD2, the Vaccine available and how to obtain it.

All very disappointing :cry:

I've heard of a few people being told that the usual vaccine will cover the second strain. Quite disappointing.

I've also heard of some people being told they need the RHD2 vaccine every 6 months! Seems there's still an awful lot of confusion surrounding it.

I've heard of a few people being told that the usual vaccine will cover the second strain. Quite disappointing.

I've also heard of some people being told they need the RHD2 vaccine every 6 months!
Seems there's still an awful lot of confusion surrounding it.

The data sheet is ambiguous as to duration of immunity, it says '6 - 12 months'................

I'm so panicky about this, nobody is vaccinating here yet as there is no evidence the strain is here. I know I can insist on the vaccine if I want to, but dunno if that would be a bit over the top of me :? The situation is being monitored by vets but I'm still a bit nervous!

I contacted the non rabbit savvy vet I use for emergencies only as my rabbit savvy vet is a distance away and I thought it would be handy to use the closer vet for a straight forward injection.They were quite dismissive of it and get the impression they don't plan on ordering it anytime soon.I will obviously go to my rabbit savvy vet instead but its a great shame for all those little local rabbits who wont be protected or owners who wont be warned of the danger.:(

It's such a shame! I spoke with my own vets - well, the receptionist there - and even she knew what was happening. They've ordered the vaccine but still waiting for it to arrive and will send out letters when it does.

So I also rang the Companion Care Vets at our local P@H - and even they've ordered it in...now if they can get there heads together over if - then other vets can too. It's almost like some vets don't want to be bothered with it and all the extra work it might require to import the vaccine in.

Back