• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting over the death of my bunny

sadiejosh

New Kit
Hi guys, I'm new to this site but thought it would be the best place to visit
3 weeks ago me and my boyfriend got ourselves a beautiful lion head bun, he was 9 weeks, very fluffy and friendly. We named him chips
He was so happy and friendly, I would call him over and he would come straight to me and lick my hands
I would let him sit on my knee and he would climb up and perch himself on my chest and lick my nose and cheeks, I couldn't believe how affectionate he was, my friends rabbits were always so timid and shy.

Anyway yesterday he was sitting in his litter box (he used it more to relax in and snooze than do his business!)
He came over to greet me before I went to work, but his back legs seemed to be stiff as he basically fell out and lay down
I picked him up and put him on the floor, he hopped a bit so I thought he was okay, so went to work

A few hours later when my boyfriend got home, he called me saying something was wrong with chips. My heart sank
We took him to the vets, at this point he had stopped moving
His breathing was fine but his muscles were just not working. He wasn't even blinking
The vet used like a clamp on his back legs to apply some pressure to see if he reacted and kick, but nothing. Instead he squeaked which absolutely killed me to hear him, I felt uselessly
It upset me that much I left the room

The vet thought he had maybe a virus which had brought on some brain damage which had caused this cabbage like state.
She advised to leave him with her and she put him on fluids and a drip

We got a call a few hours later to say he was starting to blink and respond and would eat when offered, she said to let him stay over night

An hour later we got the dreaded call. When the vet was going back and to to check on him, he stopped breathing. She tried everything to bring him round but his heart stopped
She thinks he has had a fit or seizure which caused the brain damage

I am devastated, I can't put it into words how broken I am. Whenever I have had pets pass, they have been put to sleep by the vet. I have been atleast able to say goodbye

But chips died with strangers and not with me or my boyfriend with him, I didn't have chance to say goodbye to him and I feel awful. His death was so sudden and unexpected. I feel like I've been punched in the stomach

I only had him for 3 weeks, but we had bonded so well, I adored him

I can't forgive myself for leaving the room when he was being examined because I was upset, I should've been there
He must've been terrified to be with strangers on a drip

I don't think I'm coping well and feel so saddened by this.
Any help on bunny loss grief?

I'm sorry this is so long
Thank you for reading, Sadie x

Firstly, I am so very, very sorry that you lost your little boy so suddenly.

It will be very hard to deal with your grief at first but it really will get easier xxx

3 weeks ago me and my boyfriend got ourselves a beautiful lion head bun, he was 9 weeks, very fluffy and friendly. We named him chips
He was so happy and friendly, I would call him over and he would come straight to me and lick my hands
I would let him sit on my knee and he would climb up and perch himself on my chest and lick my nose and cheeks, I couldn't believe how affectionate he was, my friends rabbits were always so timid and shy.

Anyway yesterday he was sitting in his litter box (he used it more to relax in and snooze than do his business!)
He came over to greet me before I went to work, but his back legs seemed to be stiff as he basically fell out and lay down
I picked him up and put him on the floor, he hopped a bit so I thought he was okay, so went to work

A few hours later when my boyfriend got home, he called me saying something was wrong with chips. My heart sank
His breathing was fine but his muscles were just not working. He wasn't even blinking
The vet used like a clamp on his back legs to apply some pressure to see if he reacted and kick, but nothing. Instead he squeaked which absolutely killed me to hear him, I felt uselessly

The vet thought he had maybe a virus which had brought on some brain damage which had caused this cabbage like state.

We got a call a few hours later to say he was starting to blink and respond and would eat when offered, she said to let him stay over night

An hour later we got the dreaded call. When the vet was going back and to to check on him, he stopped breathing. She tried everything to bring him round but his heart stopped

I am devastated, I can't put it into words how broken I am. Whenever I have had pets pass, they have been put to sleep by the vet. I have been atleast able to say goodbye

But chips died with strangers and not with me or my boyfriend with him, I didn't have chance to say goodbye to him and I feel awful. His death was so sudden and unexpected. I feel like I've been punched in the stomach

I can't forgive myself for leaving the room when he was being examined because I was upset, I should've been there

Dear Sadie

Thank you for posting about your beautiful rabbit. I understand completely and it's terribly sad :(

You weren't to know that he would go downhill so suddenly and pass away. If it was a fit or seizure, then he would've known very little of his passing, so please don't beat yourself up because you weren't there.

I hope you'll stay with us. Post pictures of him in Rainbow Bridge if you'd like. And welcome to RU, even under such sad circumstances.

What was his name? xx

I am so sorry to hear of your sad loss. You must feel heartbroken and shocked. Sending lots of love to you and i hope it eases for you in time. xx

I am really sorry to hear of Chips's very untimely passing :cry: It sounds as though the Vet did everything possible to try to save him. It really is tragic that it was not possible to do so :cry:

RIP Chips, you only visited for a very short time, but your care givers will never forget you xx

I'm so sorry you lost Chips :cry: it sounds as if the vet and you did everything you could for him. He will have known how loved he was :love: thinking of you at this sad time xx

I'm very sorry that you have lost Chips, he was clearly a very special rabbit. xx

I can completely understand how you feel about his passing. I lost my beloved Scrappy last year and to this day I still get very upset at the thought that she passed away at the hospital, in a strange environment and surrounded by people she didn't know. I think that because we care so deeply for our bunnies we want them to have the best life possible and also a "good death" which to me means passing away peacefully at home. Unfortunately because rabbits can go downhill so quickly it is very often the case that they will slip away at the vet's or on the way there (which is what happened with my other bridge bun Peanut Butter).

Sending you lots of hugs. I hope that you can gain some comfort from the fact that every moment Chips had with you were full of joy and happiness xxx

I'm so sorry you lost your beloved bunny. Lots of people on here have lost their rabbits and haven't been with them when they died. You tried to save him by taking him to the vets so please don't be hard on yourself. Unfortunately bunnies can go downhill so quickly. RIP little Chips

Again thank you all for your kind words, I'm feeling better today
I picked chips up from the vets today and said my final goodbye before he was buried
He looked like he was sleeping, so so peaceful
So I've had a bit more closure today
It's just going to take time and I've accepted that now

I've been trying to post pictures on rainbow bridge but I use my iPhone to post not a computer so not sure how 😐 I'll keep trying though! 💕🐰

Back