• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur loss

SJH

Warren Veteran
Hector is moulting. As I sometimes do, when cuddling him, I pull a few tufts out for him. They are obviously loose and he loves it.

However, on this occasion, there is very little fur underneath. He has a "hole" in his fur now.

Any ideas?

There's no sign of mites/dandruff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm sure Chloe had something similar to this last year. I shall look into my older threads. Hopefully someone will have an idea what it is, it is quite random isn't it.

I'm sure Chloe had something similar to this last year. I shall look into my older threads. Hopefully someone will have an idea what it is, it is quite random isn't it.

Thank you!

Yes it is random. He doesn't half know how to worry me!! He seems quite well in himself though which is the main thing!!

Thank you!

Yes it is random. He doesn't half know how to worry me!! He seems quite well in himself though which is the main thing!!

Not been scratching at all?

Not caught it on anything? (looks like a bit of fur's been ripped out)

Not been scratching at all?

Not caught it on anything? (looks like a bit of fur's been ripped out)

That is what it looks like but no, no scratching. The missing fur was hanging out in tufts which I removed for him. They came out readily as opposed to needing any pressure.

It's unlikely he's caught it on anything. He's fairly lazy these days and bounces around the living room and kitchen only. :lol:

That is what it looks like but no, no scratching. The missing fur was hanging out in tufts which I removed for him. They came out readily as opposed to needing any pressure.

It's unlikely he's caught it on anything. He's fairly lazy these days and bounces around the living room and kitchen only. :lol:

A great big moult then perhaps :D

Hope no more happen, or he'll end up looking a little moth-eaten :shock:

A great big moult then perhaps :D

Hope no more happen, or he'll end up looking a little moth-eaten :shock:

I hope it is just a big and rapid moult. I'll keep a close eye though.

Ha ha!! Yes!! He's already tufty but he really would look like a ragamuffin if he gets anymore "holes" like this!!

I did take Chloe to the vets but nothing untoward was found. I imagine it is something to do with the moulting process. Interesting how it all works!

Looks like a heavy moult to me. Poppy did this the first year I had her, she had come into rescue a bit of a mess and I spent ages one day absentmindedly plucking the tufts of loose fur out as she sat on me. I was doing it by feel on the side I couldn't see as a sort of cuddle and when I'd finished half her bum was hairless :shock: the skin felt velvety where the new fur was starting to grow through... It all looked normal again a few weeks later! She hasn't done it since either.

Hector is moulting. As I sometimes do, when cuddling him, I pull a few tufts out for him. They are obviously loose and he loves it.

However, on this occasion, there is very little fur underneath. He has a "hole" in his fur now.

Any ideas?

There's no sign of mites/dandruff.

As Hele has said, it looks like normal moult regrowth. It's just that the old fur in that location has been removed before the new fur has fully come through :D

Looks like a heavy moult to me. Poppy did this the first year I had her, she had come into rescue a bit of a mess and I spent ages one day absentmindedly plucking the tufts of loose fur out as she sat on me. I was doing it by feel on the side I couldn't see as a sort of cuddle and when I'd finished half her bum was hairless :shock: the skin felt velvety where the new fur was starting to grow through... It all looked normal again a few weeks later! She hasn't done it since either.

As Hele has said, it looks like normal moult regrowth. It's just that the old fur in that location has been removed before the new fur has fully come through :D

Thank you!!

Hopefully it's just a weird one off too. I guess it has gone hot quickly and his beautiful black fur is quite "deep pile" :lol:

I did take Chloe to the vets but nothing untoward was found. I imagine it is something to do with the moulting process. Interesting how it all works!

It's reassuring that the fluff-monster's fur grew back after it had happened! :lol:

One of my Rex bucks has similar "holes" in his fur at the moment. He always displays interesting moult lines, but I haven't seen it quite like this before.

I hope Hector is soon back to his deep pile self :)

I hope it is just a big and rapid moult. I'll keep a close eye though.

Ha ha!! Yes!! He's already tufty but he really would look like a ragamuffin if he gets anymore "holes" like this!!

Let's hope we're right :thumb:

One of my Rex bucks has similar "holes" in his fur at the moment. He always displays interesting moult lines, but I haven't seen it quite like this before.

Some people think that Rexes dont moult !!

The late Brian thought otherwise................

Rabbits001.jpg

Rabbits002-2.jpg

Rabbits005-1.jpg

Rabbits006-1.jpg

:shock:

Thank you Omi. :)

Back