• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

moving house.. advice regarding bisc

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
we might have the opportunity to move house but we have a few concerns with bisc.

- the house is basically a mirror image of our house now, but with a little conservatory. so a little more room but would the fact everything is the opposite way be confusing and unsettling for bisc? i know it will take me some getting used to!

- bisc is an older single rabbit, who many of you know can be nervy with change. he has lived here since 2008 so it's a familiar comfortable space.

- the new house has laminate flooring throughout. we would put rugs down for bisc but with his spondylosis, would this be enough?

there are some other positives aswell, like the base of the house is in much better condition, the garden is slightly bigger with a bigger shed. the outside storage cupboard (brick) is behind the gate so i'd beable to use it for storage of things like hay and bedding. and the garden doesn't get much sun like ours does now.

so what do you all think? to be honest, bisc is the only thing that matters here, so if it won't be right for him then it's a no-go. would love your opinions :wave:

we might have the opportunity to move house but we have a few concerns with bisc.

- the house is basically a mirror image of our house now, but with a little conservatory. so a little more room but would the fact everything is the opposite way be confusing and unsettling for bisc? i know it will take me some getting used to!

- bisc is an older single rabbit, who many of you know can be nervy with change. he has lived here since 2008 so it's a familiar comfortable space.

- the new house has laminate flooring throughout. we would put rugs down for bisc but with his spondylosis, would this be enough?

there are some other positives aswell, like the base of the house is in much better condition, the garden is slightly bigger with a bigger shed. the outside storage cupboard (brick) is behind the gate so i'd beable to use it for storage of things like hay and bedding. and the garden doesn't get much sun like ours does now.

so what do you all think? to be honest, bisc is the only thing that matters here, so if it won't be right for him then it's a no-go. would love your opinions :wave:

The main drawback if it were me would be the laminate flooring. If bisc doesn't do too many indoor binkies and run arounds, he should be fine. Otherwise he could jump onto a rug and sail as if it were a skateboard :shock:

You can get some stuff that prevents rugs from slipping, and get decent sized rugs/runners.

Some examples:

http://www.therugseller.co.uk/antislip.asp?gclid=CPbo2qiXss0CFRSeGwodDRYJSw

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_dl0il34ul_b

Sounds exciting :D

The main drawback if it were me would be the laminate flooring. If bisc doesn't do too many indoor binkies and run arounds, he should be fine. Otherwise he could jump onto a rug and sail as if it were a skateboard :shock:

You can get some stuff that prevents rugs from slipping, and get decent sized rugs/runners.

Some examples:

http://www.therugseller.co.uk/antislip.asp?gclid=CPbo2qiXss0CFRSeGwodDRYJSw

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_dl0il34ul_b

Sounds exciting :D

he does occasionally do sprints and binkies so rug grippers would definitely be needed! he mainly does those cute head binkies and half binkies where they turn at the same time.. you know what i mean!

it would take two 100x150cm size rugs to cover his main area, and then another 2-3 to cover the rest of the lounge aswell. he has a couple already and some other smaller sized rugs aswell. plus a collection of fleece liners/fleece blankets/mats etc etc!

i suppose we could put off-cuts of carpet down for him, but i know the landlord wants the laminate to stay as the main flooring.

i just wish i could ask bisc if he wants to stay or whether he'd like a fresh start in a new place with slightly more space (the conservatory at the end of the lounge)

I think that if you could get the rug grippers etc then the laminate flooring should be ok for bisc. I also think he'd get used to the new layout and would enjoy the extra space once he's all adjusted! If he goes outside, then the bigger garden could be nice too?

I think that if you could get the rug grippers etc then the laminate flooring should be ok for bisc. I also think he'd get used to the new layout and would enjoy the extra space once he's all adjusted! If he goes outside, then the bigger garden could be nice too?

he does enjoy going outside. think it adds something extra to his day :love: he can't use our whole garden now as it has patches of ragwort and they keep appearing in more places :roll: i know the new garden has been well kept and just looks like a basic little bit of paving and nice sized patch of lawn. so he could use more of it, although we need to control his binkies and sprints so he doesn't damage himself.

Last edited:
i've just been reading some other threads about moving and someone suggested taking some of the old carpet to make the new place seem more familiar. we have to remove and replace this carpet when we leave anyway so it's possible to take some for bisc's new area.

still not sure about it all. whether it's fair to unsettle him :?

does anyone else have any advice or tips if we do move? we really need to get a move on and decide but i'm really torn!

We moved house with Louie, who was totally blind. I was really, really worried about how he would cope but he settled in so very quickly, discovered the back door and garden and was just amazing :)

We moved house with Louie, who was totally blind. I was really, really worried about how he would cope but he settled in so very quickly, discovered the back door and garden and was just amazing :)

this is reassuring, thank you. bisc has some age related changes to one of his eyes, and the other looks like it might be following too, so i've been worried about that. especially because if we change one thing in the room now, he will know something isn't right and get himself all spooked.

when we moved in here i was worried about how bisc and matt would cope, but they loved it straight away. obviously they had each other though. x

You will know best what is likely to upset bisc and what he would tolerate. In my view I would think the main thing for a rabbit would be that things don't smell very different. I know when I change things/clean things/add things etc to my rabbits' shed they all go round smelling and then scent marking. I think taking some of your old carpet would be a good idea and would be reassuring.

i've just been reading some other threads about moving and someone suggested taking some of the old carpet to make the new place seem more familiar. we have to remove and replace this carpet when we leave anyway so it's possible to take some for bisc's new area.

still not sure about it all. whether it's fair to unsettle him :?

does anyone else have any advice or tips if we do move? we really need to get a move on and decide but i'm really torn!

If you can remove and take some of bisc's old carpet with you, I think he would be delighted! He sounds like a character, who would maybe grump at first at being moved, and then settle in and thoroughly enjoy himself with the new space :D

ok, so smelly old carpet is a must to come with us then :lol: it's actually in better condition in bisc's area than in the rest of the lounge!

Back