• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scab on rabbits neck/back??? injection???

emilylp123

New Kit
Hi everyone, :wave:

I am new to this forum, and also to owning buns.

I have 2 female rabbits both around 4 months old,who have both had their myxomatosis and vhd injections around 2.5 weeks ago.

They eat really well and are very active and I cannot see any signs of ill health what so ever.

They have bonded really well and are always together.

Jet (my dwarf lop) came out last night for a stroke and to be checked over and I discovered a scab on her back , where I believe the injection site was.

It is dry, no sign of weeping/blood. there is pink skin around the scab which shows that it is in a healing process.

Is this normal to happen this long after the injection??

Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this or if they have experienced this with one of their buns before I run to the vets lol

I will post a picture shortly when im home

Thank you.

Last edited:

I have 2 female rabbits both around 4 months old,who have both had their myxomatosis and vhd injections around 2.5 weeks ago.

They eat really well and are very active and I cannot see any signs of ill health what so ever.

Jet (my dwarf lop) came out last night for a stroke and to be checked over and I discovered a scab on her back , where I believe the injection site was.

It is dry, no sign of weeping/blood. there is pink skin around the scab which shows that it is in a healing process.

Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this or if they have experienced this with one of their buns before I run to the vets lol

Thank you.

Hello

It is very likely that it is a local reaction to the vaccine. It is a possible side effect which is noted on the vaccine data sheet

''A small, non-painful swelling (maximum 2 cm diameter) at the injection site is commonly observed within the first two weeks after vaccination. The swelling will resolve completely by 3 weeks after vaccination.''

The full data sheet can be found here on here
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Nobivac-Myxo-RHD-5-x-1-dose/productinfo/NOBMYXORHD/

Thank you for your reply.

I did have a hunch that this may be the reason but was just a little shocked to discover it after this amount of time :oops:

I will keep a close eye on it over the next few days then as I expect it should start to clear up.

thankyou

Thank you.

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Its unusual for it to happen this length of time after the vaccination, but not impossible.

Do you think it may have been there a few days ago and you didn't see it?

If it's healing, I don't think you need to pay out for another vet's visit at the moment :)

That's what I thought, I suppose it could be possible due to the thickness of her fur, and the fact that it's a fully formed scab, it doesn't appear to be a fresh wound, I will give it a few days as the scab should fall off if it's nearly healed!! She seems her total normal self otherwise, it isn't causing her any discomfort just doesn't look pretty when you part her fur and see it.

Thank you :)

That's what I thought, I suppose it could be possible due to the thickness of her fur, and the fact that it's a fully formed scab, it doesn't appear to be a fresh wound, I will give it a few days as the scab should fall off if it's nearly healed!! She seems her total normal self otherwise, it isn't causing her any discomfort just doesn't look pretty when you part her fur and see it.

Thank you :)

Welcome :thumb:

Hope all goes to plan xx

Booked in for monday at vets

Hi there,

The scab is still there on jets back.

It looks more dry then it was before and like it could fall off soon but I've booked in for vets on monday as I think it should be gone by now if it was any sort of reaction to the vaccinations she had 3-4 weeks ago

has this happened to any body else??

any idea what they may say or what it may be???

thanks

Hi there,

It looks more dry then it was before and like it could fall off soon but I've booked in for vets on monday as I think it should be gone by now if it was any sort of reaction to the vaccinations she had 3-4 weeks ago

thanks

Yes there was a massive great hole on my rabbit's back well before the vets knew anything about what it was :lol:

I treated it and it healed up well and disappeared. I think I was helping my vet more than she was helping me at that time :shock:

Yes there was a massive great hole on my rabbit's back well before the vets knew anything about what it was :lol:

I treated it and it healed up well and disappeared. I think I was helping my vet more than she was helping me at that time :shock:

haha well I hope they can shed some light on jets !!

I was thinking of getting some antiseptics to put on it but im really scared to use anything on it due to being unsure of what it is :oops::oops::oops:

haha well I hope they can shed some light on jets !!

I was thinking of getting some antiseptics to put on it but im really scared to use anything on it due to being unsure of what it is :oops::oops::oops:

Just be careful of the ingredients of anything you put onto a rabbit, as they will ingest the chemicals x

Hi there,

thanks

Sometimes a vaccine reaction can take a good few weeks to fully resolve. The scab coming off being the 'closing chapter' so to speak.
I would not apply any lotions or potions to it, you said it is looking clean and dry and that the scab is almost off so I'd leave it alone if I were you. Hope that the Vet can reassure you that all is well xx

Back