• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sad news from the invisabuns

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
We have rhd2 :-( one of the babies, Lily, got it very acutely and died. Jeremy has been poorly but has now rallied and is currently doing well. Everybun else so far is fine and were all vaccinated on Tuesday (including the babies, even though they're still only 8 weeks - not a lot to lose in the circumstances!) Now on countdown for the 7 days for immunity to develop and hoping that nothing untoward happens while they're developing immunity.

It seems so unfair. I've always done things properly and have vaccinated since I got my first rabbits in the 1980s (anyone else remember the 6-vial dose of myxi vaccine which had to be used within 2 hrs?!) yet so many seem to get away with appalling husbandry and never vaccinating and don't ever have a problem.

So invisabuns will have to close its doors for an as yet unspecified period of time.

Oh no, my heart sunk when I saw the title thread :cry: I am so very sorry.

I can so understand your feelings regarding the unfairness of it all. It's the same with people I'm afraid. Some people get away with eating rubbish food, smoking, drinking, taking no exercise etc etc and others who have never done any of those things have every disease and illness under the sun thrown at them. It is truly unfair and there's no logic behind it, but it happens I'm afraid.

I really really hope that the rest of your beautiful rabbits stay well.

We have rhd2 :-( one of the babies, Lily, got it very acutely and died. Jeremy has been poorly but has now rallied and is currently doing well. Everybun else so far is fine and were all vaccinated on Tuesday (including the babies, even though they're still only 8 weeks - not a lot to lose in the circumstances!) Now on countdown for the 7 days for immunity to develop and hoping that nothing untoward happens while they're developing immunity.

It seems so unfair. I've always done things properly and have vaccinated since I got my first rabbits in the 1980s (anyone else remember the 6-vial dose of myxi vaccine which had to be used within 2 hrs?!) yet so many seem to get away with appalling husbandry and never vaccinating and don't ever have a problem.

So invisabuns will have to close its doors for an as yet unspecified period of time.

Oh God that's so unfair :cry:

I didn't realise immunity developed after 7 days, I really hope in your case it covers them all.

You've been exemplary and it just doesn't seem right for you to be struck with RHD2. Yes I remember those 6-vial doses.

I'm so very sorry x

Oh no A, I cant believe it :cry:

No-one could be more vigilant than you, it really is tragic that fate has dealt you such an unfair blow. As you say there are thousands Pet Rabbits who will never obtain the standard of care you always devote to your Rabbits, both those of your own and all of your Rescues over the years. I am truly devastated for you as I know how badly you will be effected.

The virus is bloody evil :evil:

I am sending millions of 'no more losses' vibes your way and a mega hug for you xx

Utterly devastating, especially the injustice of it.

I hope the other precious invisabuns are safe from this awful virus.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this; you've done all you can and it seems so unfair. :(:( Fingers crossed for every other bun. xx

I'm so sorry Santa, such sad news. Hoping with all my heart that no more of your bunnies are taken

I am sorry for your loss. Time and time again I have seen where people who do everything right have a bunny that just is not able to survive and it is heartbreaking.

Sending you positive vibes while the buns wait for full immunity.

I' m so sorry Santa. That is absolutely terrible news. I remember the myxi vaccine from the 80's. The vet used to ring up when it was available....those were the days. Apparently the vaccine was LIVE, that's why it had to be used in a hurry. They don't need to use that type any more. I hope things improve for you and anyone else affected.

Back