• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to safely sneak meds as treat?

loobers25

Warren Veteran
Hi every bun,

My Charlie is on baytril and metacam.

He really hates the baytril and spits it back out. My boyfriend tasted it (lol!) to see why its so bad. And just to confirm it tastes rancid.

What can I do so that will taste yummy and be safe for Charlie. I have heard about pineapple juice but what kind? The ones in fresh cartons? worried about sugar, diet change etc

xx

You might have to experiment with the baytril, but metacam is tastier most bunnies will lick it straight from a syringe :)

I used to soak a few pellets in water, wait for them to expand, drain excess water and then mush them up with the meds.

try hiding in banana, baytril here is like poison to my bun she paws at her mouth after, metacam however she is addicted to it

I had the same issue with the Baytril. When I used the same oral syringe for the Medicam as for Baytril, I noticed they ran from the Medicam too (the syringe was washed but must have had a faint odor from the Batril). My advice is to give the Medicam first and then try to administer the Baytril. It was even an issue when I got the Baytril compounded into a rabbit friendly flavor, though not as bad as when I was giving them chicken for beef flavored Batril.

You could mix it into some fruit or veg baby food, a lot of people use Ella's kitchen ones, just make sure they don't have leek or onion in them, that might disguise the taste.

I must be in a minority - Alfie hates the taste of metacam and even septrin (which is banana flavoured). :roll::lol: He's on both meds twice daily for the foreseeable future so now we just tend to wrap him in a towel (bunny burrito) and syringe the meds. (Evil mummy lol.....)

Tricks I've tried in the past though include mixing it in with a tiny bit of baby food or fruit, syringing it onto a basil leaf/small piece of greens and wrapping it up so the meds are inside, syringing onto a couple of pellets and letting it soak in.

Mine loved the metacam, I think they were more bothered about the syringe but once they had tasted it, that was it, they went mad for it. I have no experience with baytril as my buns have not been ill (touch wood) but have had to administer a lot of meds to my other animals. I would put it in a tasty treat such as a bit of fruit or veg. Herbs would probably be good because the herbs have a good smell about them and might disguise the medication smell. Maybe something like a bit of mint herb or basil? xx

I found baytril easiest to give on a piece of bread, soak it into it and give it to them, they seem to take it quite easily providing the whole piece isn't soaked through. I wouldn't normally give them bread but in my view it's easier than stressing them.

Mine have no problems with metacam but for
Baytril I pop the dose onto a fenugreek treat and let it soak in - hey presto lol they will normally take no worries xx

I must be in a minority - Alfie hates the taste of metacam and even septrin (which is banana flavoured). :roll::lol: He's on both meds twice daily for the foreseeable future so now we just tend to wrap him in a towel (bunny burrito) and syringe the meds. (Evil mummy lol.....)

Tricks I've tried in the past though include mixing it in with a tiny bit of baby food or fruit, syringing it onto a basil leaf/small piece of greens and wrapping it up so the meds are inside, syringing onto a couple of pellets and letting it soak in.

I must say, this is the only way I can ensure the meds get to where they should. Well they do sometimes let them dribble, but most of it gets inside :D

Baytril - there's no reason *not* to use pineapple juice, or orange or apple juice. You could also use Ella's kitchen baby food - would he like bananas and apples? Carrot and parsnip?

It's such an individual thing...

I must say, this is the only way I can ensure the meds get to where they should. Well they do sometimes let them dribble, but most of it gets inside :D

Haha, Alfie seems to have perfected the knack of not actually swallowing and letting the meds dribble out of the opposite side of his mouth. :roll: But, apart from that, it's so much quicker to syringe the meds rather than preparing the 'baited' food and making sure he actually eats it etc. It's not so bad when they only need meds for a few days.

My Raven was an exception when I first gave it to him too. After the first couple doses, I realized he hated the process more than the medicine. It only took him a day or so to realize that the faster he takes it the faster it is over.

Back