• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny weeing anywhere even after bladder flush

Pandora1

Warren Scout
Hi

My bunny is continually weeing everywhere, a few weeks ago she had a bladder flush for sludge. Initially she was a little better, now it seems worse than ever. She was checked at the time for infection and it was clear. Her feet and fur are completely wee stained, and I wash her when she is wet or smelly. I did ask my current vet to try the Propanol as it helped my other rabbit, but he wouldnt let me have it. I have decided to get a second opinion from another vet. She is on Loxicom twice daily for inflammation as she is 9 years old. She is lively in herself, eats and doesnt seem to drink excessively. Any opinions appreciated.

Pandora

How long after the bladder flushing did the slight improvement last ? Unfortunately if a Rabbit is not fully emptying his/her bladder each time they wee bladder sludge can build up again. Seeking the opinion of another Vet may be a good idea and he/she may suggest further diagnostics. Has your Rabbit had an abdominal Xray and a full blood profile ?

Is she actually leaking wee ?

Has she been checked for e.c?

Full bloods would be an idea to rule out kidney failure.

Do you need a rabbit savvy vet? You can post in rabbit chat asking for one in your area. I'm sure somebody could help you. X

Hi

No, she is not leaking urine, and she has not had bloods done or an x ray, so maybe that is the next step. She only showed slight improvement straight after the bladder sludge. If it is her kidneys is that it or can she have meds to help.

Hi

No, she is not leaking urine, and she has not had bloods done or an x ray, so maybe that is the next step. She only showed slight improvement straight after the bladder sludge. If it is her kidneys is that it or can she have meds to help.

With chronic renal failure there is treatment that can help. It wont cure the problem, but it can definitely buy the Rabbit more good quality time. However, I would try not to start second guessing what is going on as it may not be a renal problem at all. But given her age, her symptoms and the fact that she is on daily Metacam a full blood profile would certainly be a good idea.

As Vegan _Bunny mentioned, if you are looking for a more Rabbit Savvy Vet you could post a thread in Rabbit Chat asking for Rabbit Savvy Vet recommendations in your area

In the meantime these links may be informative:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Urolithiasis.htm

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.co...m-bladder-sludge-and-urolithiasis-proceedings

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/ChronicRenalLagomorph.htm

Hi

With kidney failure, there is a good drug called Fortekor, but unless she's had a blood test, you don't know whether it's the kidneys with the issues.

She could have an irritated bladder, perhaps discuss with your vet something to settle it down. It can happen in humans too.

Good luck xx

Hi

I also remembered that when she had her bladder flush, the vet said she had some bladder stones, so these could be causing her a problem I guess. Unfortunately they didnt give me any further advice on what could be done ie medication or just leaving them, so I am in the dark.

Pandora

Hi

I also remembered that when she had her bladder flush, the vet said she had some bladder stones, so these could be causing her a problem I guess. Unfortunately they didnt give me any further advice on what could be done ie medication or just leaving them, so I am in the dark.

Pandora

If she actually has bladder stones then surgical intervention is likely to be needed. There is detailed information about bladder stones in the links I posted previously.

Hi

Pandora

Bladder stones usually need to be removed surgically.

Pandora, if your vet has left you in the dark, I would consider changing your vet, or just going to another one to get a second opinion (which you are quite entitled to do) ... Just my thoughts x

Yes, I will be seeing a different vet on Monday. Will the stones cause her to urinate more. She is nine years old so would surgery be a good option?

Yes, I will be seeing a different vet on Monday. Will the stones cause her to urinate more. She is nine years old so would surgery be a good option?

How was the Vet so certain that bladder stones are present if Xrays have not been taken ? I assume by palpating her bladder? It is usually only very large stones that can be detected by bladder palpation alone.

I would definitely want both bloods and Xrays taken before going ahead with cystotomy

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00.../Indiv_TechniquesRabbit/Cystotomy_Rabbits.htm

It would be important to establish if the kidneys/kidney function are effected, stones can form in the Kidneys too.

I had an 11 year old Doe who came through a cystotomy successfully. She went on to live to be 13

I think seeing a different vet is a very good idea :thumb:

Yes, the stones will affect her urination. Nine years isn't old, if otherwise in really good health. But as you know, one size never fits all. Just because someone else's bunny had it done and came through it fine, I would still be very cautious. All rabbits react to anaesthetics in different ways.

I hope this new vet will be able to give you some good advice and a way forward x

Hi

Yes they were found by palpation, not x ray. She is in very good health, no teeth issues, eats well, quite active and alert. My next step would be bloods, x-ray. Thanks, your advice has been very helpful.

Hi

Yes they were found by palpation, not x ray. She is in very good health, no teeth issues, eats well, quite active and alert. My next step would be bloods, x-ray. Thanks, your advice has been very helpful.

You are welcome
I really hope all will go well xx

Hi

Very welcome :thumb:

Hope the next step goes well Pandora xx

Back