• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training problems with rescue bunny

Larissa

Young Bun
Hi guys!

So 3 weeks ago my little bun Amelie went to find a new partner! She spent a week away bonding with her new best friend Sherlock and two weeks ago they returned home together.
They both get on great :) but the problem is that Sherlock isn't getting the hang of using the toilet! He's a rescue bunny (aged 1 and a half and neutered) and was very scared at the beginning, he's settling in really well but we don't know what happened to him beforehand to make him so scared :( Therefore I'm assuming he has never been toilet trained! I've placed two toilets (one with a hay rack and the other is a cat toilet with hay in it) in two of the corners that he wees in, and he does use them but he also wees in all the other corners and NEXT to the two toilets. I've tried wiping up his wee and putting it in the toilet but he still wee's everywhere else and I can't place toilets everwhere?!
They're house bunnies and live cage free. When I go out I pop them in their fenced off area of their room (to prevent Amelie biting the walls whilst I'm gone!) and he doesn't wee outside of the fenced off area, just everywhere in it!

I've tried covering their play area with newspaper but I think it might just be encouraging him to wee everywhere, otherwise they have a big blanket on the floor (which I have to wash every time he wee's!).

Does anyone have any tips or any personal experiences of something similar?
Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
When rabbits are in a new area they do sometimes pooh everywhere - it could be he will get better when he settles down! Some rabbits are cleaner than others and a lot depens on what they were used to doing in their old home. Sorry I have no tips, wish I had!

What is the surface of their living area covered in normally? Some rabbits like to wee on soft surfaces such as blankets and fleecy materials.

Yeah the pooing is okay that's easy to pick up but I'm hoping the weeing stops! :lol:
It's a wooden floor and inside their play area I put a blanket down so they can run around without sliding. Maybe it is the blanket but on the bed for example he doesn't urinate!
Thanks for the replies :)

Currently scooping up Petra's **** and thinking "this sounds familiar" no solutions but when you have one please let me know!!

Back