• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do? Updated

maxbun

Warren Scout
I've booked Lynx in to see my vet tomorrow, but feel quite anxious about the outcome of the visit. Lynx is 9 now, and seems to be having trouble mainly with one back leg. He had a clean bill of health when he had his vaccination in May, but since then he has definitely got thinner and is having a problem with his back leg, and sometimes seems to be unable to correct himself when trying to get up. He has also always had some strange skin legions just above his tail - they have been there almost all his life and have caused no problems, but they seem to be bigger. They're almost like pouches of loose skin, one is about 1/2 inch big and the others are smaller. He also has a small sore on his hock which I have been treating but think it's where he scrabbled to get up. I'm preparing myself for the worst, but hoping that we might buy him a bit more time to be out on the grass in the sunshine which is what he loves best. :(

Last edited:
hope it goes ok at vets tomorrow for Lynx, there might be medications to help him if his leg is arthritis etc, have you tried feeding him foods to help maybe gain alittle weight

I've booked Lynx in to see my vet tomorrow, but feel quite anxious about the outcome of the visit. Lynx is 9 now, and seems to be having trouble mainly with one back leg. He had a clean bill of health when he had his vaccination in May, but since then he has definitely got thinner and is having a problem with his back leg, and sometimes seems to be unable to correct himself when trying to get up. He has also always had some strange skin legions just above his tail - they have been there almost all his life and have caused no problems, but they seem to be bigger. They're almost like pouches of loose skin, one is about 1/2 inch big and the others are smaller. He also has a small sore on his hock which I have been treating but think it's where he scrabbled to get up. I'm preparing myself for the worst, but hoping that we might buy him a bit more time to be out on the grass in the sunshine which is what he loves best. :(

I'm sorry to hear this :(

It seems there are some issues he's had for some time, and others that have come on (or got worse) since the vaccination?

Has he ever had a problem after a vaccination in the past? The old VHD vaccine used to cause problems, but not so many have been reported of the combi vaccine.

As well as a discussion with your vet, could you think of (or ask the vet if you're unsure) adding in echinacea? It would appear that his immune system is low at the moment. Perhaps a blood test to show what's going on? It's very expensive so think carefully unless you have insurance, but perhaps ask the vet whether he thinks there would be any benefit.

Good luck tomorrow xx

Better news than I hoped for although he had lost more weight. He's on metacam, panacur again, and will be checked in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed the metacam helps his mobility.

That's good. Vibes for his improvement.

My three nine year olds are due for a check up soon. I'm a bit scared.

Back