• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Bailey, he's gone

I'm still in shock. We collected lovely sweet Bailey from our local rescue a month ago and was doing really well, getting a shiny coat and putting on a bit of weight too so we were so pleased. I noticed Friday evening he hadn't pooped his usual massive amount but he was eating loads an acting normal so I thought I'd keep a very close eye on him as he was so very bright and eating. This all changed Sat morning as he didn't want any breakfast at all and then I noticed he hadn't pooped all night, not one so I raced him to the emergency vet. Teeth checked and were sharp so the vet said a dental would be needed but to be on the safe side the vet did a glucose test which read 11 so the vet said it's near the limit but no reason to suspect a blockage so he had a dental. He was fine and woke up and started to eat straight away. The vet continued to monitor him and noticed he still wasn't passing any poops so another glucose test was given this was now 15. The vet was very concerned as by then Bailey had stopped eating and looked unwell so the vet advised he had emergency surgery to see what the blockage was, he also said it's a very big risk having another GA less than 12hrs after the first one but we really had no choice as by this time his glucose level was 25 and going up very quickly. The vet found lots of gooey poop and gas in his gut which he managed to massage out so he didn't have to cut into the gut. Bailey came round ok and the vet was pleased with him but said the next few hours were critical. The vet called and said he was deteriorating but they were doing everything they possibly could to keep him going but Bailey decided in the end he'd had enough and passed away. I feel absoultey terrible as we only had him for a month. I'm really struggling coming to terms with his loss as he is the second one I've lost in six weeks (the last one died in his sleep of old age). Bailey was the most amazing friendly bunny who we will always remember as the 'hug monster', he loved all the attention we gave him, he was a real delight to own. I'm gutted.

Thank you so much for your replies, although he was only with us for a month it was full of love, great food and plenty of hay which he loved.

Night night darling xx

I'm so sorry this has happened, it's very upsetting.

I've only had my latest bunny two days and I would be devastated if something happened to them, so don't feel like because you only had them a short time, you shouldn't be as upset. Hope you are ok, take care x

How sad, sorry to hear of your loss. i know you only had him a short time, but I'm sure he enjoyed every second of being with you.
Binky free Bailey xx

Back