• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming Rabbits

Lailajayne3

Young Bun
Hiya,

Just a quick question (sorry if it has been asked before)... do you worm your rabbits? My two were wormed last year when they were under a year old (vet recommended to do so).

I'm wondering whether they need to be wormed again this year if there is no signs of worms etc?

Miffy and Mylo are booked in to have a free health check for rabbit awareness week, so we were planning on asking the vets view then.. just wanted to get a few opinions from RU.

Hope you and your bunnies are well :love: xx

Hi there! We don't tend to recommend worming rabbits unless there is evidence of them. It's just unnecessary chemicals being put in to our little furries.

Some vets do seem to recommend to worm rabbits 2 to 4 times a year - but my own vet doesn't think it's necessary. More a marketing ploy by the makers of Panacur (the worming meds). Some people think it may cause resistance to the worming med in rabbits - so when you really do need it, it's not as effective.

Either way - I don't worm my buns - never have and would only do so if necessary.

Hiya,

Just a quick question (sorry if it has been asked before)... do you worm your rabbits? My two were wormed last year when they were under a year old (vet recommended to do so).

I'm wondering whether they need to be wormed again this year if there is no signs of worms etc?

Miffy and Mylo are booked in to have a free health check for rabbit awareness week, so we were planning on asking the vets view then.. just wanted to get a few opinions from RU.

Hope you and your bunnies are well :love: xx

When you say they were 'wormed', do you mean that they had a 9 day course of Panacur, or a 28 day course?

I don't routinely worm my rabbits, and as they have never passed any pin worms, I haven't given them a 9 day course either :D

:wave: I have had lots and lots of bunnies over the years and have only ever seen pinworms be passed with one when one of my current bunnies Cookie had them when she was quite young. That is the only time I have wormed and they have never appeared back since. My vet doesn't recommend it as regular thing to do and I don't think he'd seen it all that often either, so I won't worm unless I see them again (hopefully not, it was pretty gross!).

:wave: I have had lots and lots of bunnies over the years and have only ever seen pinworms be passed with one when one of my current bunnies Cookie had them when she was quite young. That is the only time I have wormed and they have never appeared back since. My vet doesn't recommend it as regular thing to do and I don't think he'd seen it all that often either, so I won't worm unless I see them again (hopefully not, it was pretty gross!).

I can't stand anything that wriggles! x

I can't stand anything that wriggles! x

Thinking about it now after I've eaten is making me feel queasey! I should have filmed or photographed them for future reference for bunny owners to recognise them really but didn't think at the time. Poor girl, she passed lots of live ones in her bumbles :shock:

Hiya,
They had a 9 day course of panacur when they were around 7 months old.
Thanks for all the replies, I think I will leave it then as I don't want to be putting anything into their bodies that doesn't really need to be put in! Hopefully I never come across anything nasty :shock: doesn't sound very nice to experience :lol: x

Back