• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

anti parasite spot on

loobers25

Warren Veteran
Good evening every bun,

My Charlie has been perscribed some Panacur for E Culicuni prevention. I would like to to give him some spot on Beaphar mite treatment that I bought over the counter. Has anyone used the two together? ive asked the vets to call me to answer me two days ago and ended up walking in and speaking to the receptionist. She says it's fine to use but im not shes the expert lol. What do you think?

Lucy

Good evening every bun,

My Charlie has been perscribed some Panacur for E Culicuni prevention. I would like to to give him some spot on Beaphar mite treatment that I bought over the counter. Has anyone used the two together? ive asked the vets to call me to answer me two days ago and ended up walking in and speaking to the receptionist. She says it's fine to use but im not shes the expert lol. What do you think?

Lucy

Hi Lucy :wave:

Why would you want to use a mite treatment if he hasn't got mites? (well I am assuming he hasn't?)

I presume being prescribed panacur you have recently seen a vet with your rabbit, I wouldn't apply spot on if it was needed your vet would of prescribed it for you

Hes scratching his ears and they are scabby and dandruffty. I pulled out a massive piece of ear wax too. I assume he has got mites so I wanted to save myself another vet bill and buy an over the counter treatment since I spent 300 pounds on bam bam Wednesday :'(

P.s Charlie is on panacur for E culicini as bam his brother had it so is a precaution . They where never bonded but I know that its very contagious. Poor bam has been a poorly bun since he was born. I was 17 when I bought him off a gum tree breeder that had hundreds of buns. Now i realise how bad that was :-( I would definitely like to adopt a pair of bonded buns a home in the future. Im going to call my vets again tomorrow. I just don't want them charging me for another check up + meds when I have read on here the over the counter treatment is just as good.

How old is your bunny and why did the Vet prescribe Panacur - did he have symptoms such as head tilt as this could also mean he has an ear infection. He could have ear mites. Is it possible for you to put a photo on here??

No head tilt no other symptoms. He had check up at vets Friday and everything ok. Hes only on panacur because they suspected that's what my other bun bam had.so hes on it as precaution xxx

I wouldn't use anything without a vets advice. The vets would be able to provide you with a more effective treatment too. I don't have much faith in things bought from the pet shop being of much use

Hes scratching his ears and they are scabby and dandruffty. I pulled out a massive piece of ear wax too. I assume he has got mites so I wanted to save myself another vet bill and buy an over the counter treatment since I spent 300 pounds on bam bam Wednesday :'(

What's the ingredient in the product you mention, and how often is it applied?

one tube of ivermectin and is effective for four weeks after treatment. Its beaphar anti parasite from pets at home.

one tube of ivermectin and is effective for four weeks after treatment. Its beaphar anti parasite from pets at home.

Yeah, if it's mites, then Ivermectin is the right stuff :thumb: It has to be reapplied every fortnight for three doses. Hopefully there should be enough there to cover you.

If it doesn't clear up, I should see the vet :)

Im going to see if they will see him tomorrow. Ill bring the bottle with me but im sure they will give me something nice and expensive lol

ok cool. I haven't given him anything but panacur. I was a bit worried because they both said on the packets that where for ring worms too so I didn't want to give him too much of the same :)

ok cool. I haven't given him anything but panacur. I was a bit worried because they both said on the packets that where for ring worms too so I didn't want to give him too much of the same :)

:shock:

Panacur is for PINWORMS and not ringworm. And also for the internal parasite E.Cuniculi. Ivermectin doesn't kill pinworms.

I can't see there would be any contraindication between the two of them, but consult your vet (phone call should do it) if you prefer :)

If he has scabs in his ears please don't try to remove them, they will fall off in their own time when he starts getting over the mites. You will need to change his bedding very regularly - how did the Vet not notice this the other day I wonder?

Ok been to vets - they gave me the exact same ingredient as the one I bought from the shop and charged me alot more lol. Never mind. better to be safe then sorry

Back