• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding baby rabbit

Lozzibear

Warren Scout
I am getting a baby bun from a rescue soon. How long do you usually wait to bond a new bun? I know some people do a 'quarantine' period but, coming from a rescue, I don't think that is needed quite as much as rehoming a bun privately. Also, does it matter that he is young? I have bonded rabbits before but never a baby bun.

Im new to rabbits... got 2 at 8 weeks old from a friend at the beginning of May and then last week I adopted one from a pet store who was nervous so I had to get advice from the guys here and I realised that ive actually done everything wrong with my girls too.... its not so much about a quarantine... I think you do that if you are going to introduce them to other animals but its more a case of allowing them to settle in a new place, get used to new surroundings and smells... ive started to hand feed them to gain trust and build a relationship and its working.... just got to give them time

Hi lozzibear,

Well I think we're in a similar situation. I currently have a neutered house bunny & have recently rescued a 10 week old doe. She has been vaccinated, fully health checked & wormed. She is currently living in a completly separate bedroom where my male doesn't go. She has had a week to settle in, and my plan is to add a puppy panel in the door way so they can see & sniff each other over the coming couple of weeks & see how it goes. I'm hoping they can get used to the smell of each other. Depending on how this is going, I'll either wait until she is old enough to be spayed and then look to fully bond, or if everything seems to be going well, I may well look how they get on before hand & see how they both are outside as this would be complelty neutral to them both.

Personally I think you should just see how each day goes and don't jump to anything without being happy to. If you are doing it the other way round, I know females are very territorial, so it may prove difficult bonding anywhere she has been before. Hope this helps, and of course I'll probably start a thread on how I get on over the coming months to help anyone in future. Feel free to PM me xx

Thank you for the replies. My female is currently outside and I have acquired an indoor cage for the baby (male) to live in until settled. I am not so worried about my female being territorial as I have bonded her twice before (always in the house but then they have gone out into 'her' house) and she is absolutely fine. She has actually been exceptionally easy to bond with the other (once was to a single bun and the other a pair).

Back