• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update! Help me design my new boarding premises!

vee-jay

Mama Doe
Elmbank Rabbit Boarding will be moving to new premises in Edinburgh after summer :)

There will be a dedicated rabbit room for the boarders, which will be kitted out with pens.

So I want to ask you, what would you like to see in a rabbit boarding facility?

I have quite a few ideas myself but would love other bunny owners input.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I don't use rabbit boarders so can't really comment on my experiences or compare with others. What I would be looking for is plenty of space (at least 2m x 2m for small rabbits), non-slip floors, excellent hygiene and good storage for hay, etc. Dry goods to be stored away from possible contact with boarders. All surfaces to be easy to clean (ie. no unpainted wood, toys that can't be cleaned, etc) and preferably able to swab or hose down with a good disinfectant (eg bleach or Virkon) between customers. Indoors, plastic dividers would be my preference over mesh ones - reduces chance of infection cross over and easier to clean as there are fewer areas to trap hay, dust, etc. Waste disposal area to be well away from boarders. All areas to be easily visible so boarders can be checked on frequently throughout the day (either directly or via CCTV) so that problems can be picked up on early.

From the pictures on your web site, I would prefer the concrete slabs to be grouted (ie a solid surface with no gaps between them), no unpainted wood for improved hygiene (there are some repair pieces visible), intact roofing (eg onduline corrugated roofing rather than felt which isn't fastened at the corners), secure bolts with padlocks (or a completely secure area) and foxproofing, etc. It makes it look a lot more professional and easier for you to clean.

I would expect a much higher level of security and hygiene in a boarding establishment than at home, but I would compromise on a reduced space for a short stay. I want my pets back in as good a condition as I sent them - clean, healthy, happy, groomed, no diseases or parasites.

Hope this helps.

I don't use rabbit boarders so can't really comment on my experiences or compare with others. What I would be looking for is plenty of space (at least 2m x 2m for small rabbits), non-slip floors, excellent hygiene and good storage for hay, etc. Dry goods to be stored away from possible contact with boarders. All surfaces to be easy to clean (ie. no unpainted wood, toys that can't be cleaned, etc) and preferably able to swab or hose down with a good disinfectant (eg bleach or Virkon) between customers. Indoors, plastic dividers would be my preference over mesh ones - reduces chance of infection cross over and easier to clean as there are fewer areas to trap hay, dust, etc. Waste disposal area to be well away from boarders. All areas to be easily visible so boarders can be checked on frequently throughout the day (either directly or via CCTV) so that problems can be picked up on early.

From the pictures on your web site, I would prefer the concrete slabs to be grouted (ie a solid surface with no gaps between them), no unpainted wood for improved hygiene (there are some repair pieces visible), intact roofing (eg onduline corrugated roofing rather than felt which isn't fastened at the corners), secure bolts with padlocks (or a completely secure area) and foxproofing, etc. It makes it look a lot more professional and easier for you to clean.

I would expect a much higher level of security and hygiene in a boarding establishment than at home, but I would compromise on a reduced space for a short stay. I want my pets back in as good a condition as I sent them - clean, healthy, happy, groomed, no diseases or parasites.

Hope this helps.
I'm with Shimmer.

I've used two boarding places. One that seems to come up on here a lot was recommended but when I got Daphne back she had a bald, sore nose. Presumably from where the boarders own house rabbit had been interfering with my girls.

The other I use is a new business and the lady is lovely. She's got a dedicated shed for house rabbits with easy to clean floors, hutches etc and she will block it so rabbits can't see each other if you ask. She's very honest about everything which i appreciate as I'd rather be told something went wrong than to suddenly find out when I get home and find my rabbit injured.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'd have a look at catteries for inspiration, they have very similar accommodation to what would suit rabbits - large secure pens and a sleeping area. So maybe something like a long narrow shed with hutches/small indoor pens down one side which had catflaps/holes through to individual runs on the outside.

Thanks Tamsin. I think when I do the outside setup they will be like that. However for the inside one I think I might not have the pens the full height of the room.

This is what it looks like at the moment haha

Well, that's certainly a project but it looks a good size space.

I think height wise for indoor you want something easy to clean and interact so making them walk in with a gate would probably work well. Obviously they need to be high enough to deter jumpers though :lol: I've wondered before if something like a roll out blind would work well for pens so you can pull it across to stop them jumping but take it off easily for when you want to walk in. The other option would be to go full height (or at least 5') between each pen and then waist height at the front to the walk way between pens as it doesn't matter so much if they jump. Either way, I'd be tempted to go solid for the first 2' ish and then see through for the rest of the height so you block eyeline so they relax but the light can come through to all the pens for the window.

Might be nice to mount sleeping boxes on the wall for maximising space?

Ah tamsin you have basically read my mind! haha though the height of the pens is a concern of mine... I deffo dont want rabbits jumping over, and it may need to be higher as I plan to but hidey boxes etc in.

The blind idea is really good I will have a think and see if it would be feasible.

I will update this thread as I go along and we shall see how it turns out :)

Keep the suggestions coming though everyone!

Last edited:
Pictures would be great, I thinking planning bunny space is such a fun thing to do!

How about sloping the partitions - you could start higher at the back and have raised platforms/hiding boxes there and then angle downwards to the front.

So a little update!

Finally got the indoor accommodation plastered, and the slabs for the outdoor accommodation will be finished tomorrow :)

Looks interesting, are you moving far? I've only had to board my rabbits once so far, it is difficult to find somewhere with adequate space & yours looks better than any of the options near to me.

Looks interesting, are you moving far? I've only had to board my rabbits once so far, it is difficult to find somewhere with adequate space & yours looks better than any of the options near to me.

I am moving to the centre of Edinburgh :) so not far.

Thanks iiisecondcreep, cant wait to see them again :)

I Have been thinking some more

I was originally planning on having mesh at the front of the cages and solid boards between adjacent cages. However this would mean that rabbits would then see the other rabbits opposite them. I could board the whole cage... but that might leave it quite dark and isolating, especially for single rabbits...

Could you mesh the front and keep some board handy if you need to block off for certain boarders?

Could you mesh the front and keep some board handy if you need to block off for certain boarders?

Yes I suppose if a pair came in and had a lot of referred aggression I could block them off. Thank you :)

I have made another design haha the cages for this one are slightly smaller, but the whole thing apart from the door at the front would be boarded off.

Could you add kickboards in? So you have mesh to look into, allow air flow, light etc but kickboards will help reduce bunnies seeing each other?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back