• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I had no idea how well they hide their pain!

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
Today I happened to lie down on the floor to pester Billy. He got up to hop away, and I noticed the subtlest difference in how he put his weight on one of his paws. Turns out the poor thing has broken a toe!

People said bunnies are masters at hiding illness, but now I know just how well they can do it. He was eating fine, showed his usual enthusiasm about treats, moving around the flat as usual... Just that one subtle clue I could easily have missed.

He'll be on metacam for the next week or so. Please send some get well soon vibes!

Today I happened to lie down on the floor to pester Billy. He got up to hop away, and I noticed the subtlest difference in how he put his weight on one of his paws. Turns out the poor thing has broken a toe!

People said bunnies are masters at hiding illness, but now I know just how well they can do it. He was eating fine, showed his usual enthusiasm about treats, moving around the flat as usual... Just that one subtle clue I could easily have missed.

He'll be on metacam for the next week or so. Please send some get well soon vibes!

Yes I know it's frightening, isn't it?

I had this conversation with my vet a while ago. On the subject of whether a rabbit is eating or not dictates whether they are in pain - we agreed you really can't rely on this as an indicator.

Poor Billy. I hope his toe mends soon xx

Thanks guys :) he looks like he is doing ok, showing his pain a bit more now we clearly know about it.

It makes me sad to think of unwitting bunny owners (like I was before I found this forum) who would assume a bunny in pain would show it. I dread to think I might have dismissed a slight limp like that! Bunny owner guilt really is setting in...

Thanks guys :) he looks like he is doing ok, showing his pain a bit more now we clearly know about it.

It makes me sad to think of unwitting bunny owners (like I was before I found this forum) who would assume a bunny in pain would show it. I dread to think I might have dismissed a slight limp like that! Bunny owner guilt really is setting in...

Bunny Owner Guilt goes with increased bunny owner caring :love:

Mikey: Aww me poor brobun Billy. Me had the same accident before. Me acted normal. only shaked a little due to pain, but i freaked woman out though LOL. Hoomies took me to vet next day and on metacam like you are. everving vill be fine me brobun.
vee send lots of good vibes and healing kisses to you!!XOXOX
13100680_10157007628165089_794062548250787501_n.jpg

dahts me, Mikey hehe..:wave:

Back