• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gabapentin - a few questions?

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Cody has had his pain meds this morning at 10.20am. 0.5ml dog metacam , 0.5ml ranitadine and 10mg tramadol. Thas an hour ago now .I can tell he is uncomfortable still :( as he is a bit hunched and a bit of tooth grinding. The vet gave me gabapentin 25mg which she said to give half a tablet. How long do i wait between his first meds and the gabapentin if I think he needs it??

Should this help with the ear absess pain ?? I have read it can be very sedating. I have never used this before so am a bit nervous.

Cody has ate some softened pellets this morning and some greens too. Pleased with his food intake. Again he's eatting his food over about an hour but st least he is eating.

Using both together has an increased sedative effect but your vet should be able to advise what if any gap should be left.
Gabapentin can be a very effective pain killer for pains that other painkillers just aren't helping enough with.

Cody has had his pain meds this morning at 10.20am. 0.5ml dog metacam , 0.5ml ranitadine and 10mg tramadol. Thas an hour ago now .I can tell he is uncomfortable still :( as he is a bit hunched and a bit of tooth grinding. The vet gave me gabapentin 25mg which she said to give half a tablet. How long do i wait between his first meds and the gabapentin if I think he needs it??

Should this help with the ear absess pain ?? I have read it can be very sedating. I have never used this before so am a bit nervous.

Cody has ate some softened pellets this morning and some greens too. Pleased with his food intake. Again he's eatting his food over about an hour but st least he is eating.

I'm glad he's eating, Nicky. At least you can dismiss the teeth worry, which would have been a great concern with his appetite.

A sleepy rabbit won't wolf his food. Eating over an hour, or even longer, is fine :D

I hope the meds get his pain under control x

Yes Max it good to know its not teeth but that would have been less serious to deal with. well I gave him the gabapentin at 12.50am as he was teeth grinding and looking quite uncomfortable and he did get into a bunny loaf position after and was sleepin well maybe a bit zonked but comfortable and this evening his appetite appeared to be alot better so I think it has helped. So at least I know I can use it from time to time. I just don't want the poor boy in pain. Thanks for replies. Thanks red fraggle - good to know this should help him. Xx

I have no help Re: Cody, but *I* find gabapentin can induce drowsiness in me. (And I'm on 600mg ;)) So not surprised it knocks him out. I'm on it as a pain preventative- interesting that it can be used in buns as an abortive.

I'll stop comparing my meds to your rabbit's now. I'm glad it's helping, even if it is making him dozy (and with that many drugs, who wouldn't? Poor boy.)

Yes Max big difference! He ate all his pellets this morning too and all his veg yesterday too more quickly than ge has been. He even was in the cardboard maze again this morning! I am so glad I have got his pain relief under control. Oliver though is eatting a bit less but I think he has sludge build up as vet could feel it in his bladder a couple of weeks ago so a flush looks likely soon. He has had 2 now in 2 years so looks nearly like a yearly thing.

Yes Max big difference! He ate all his pellets this morning too and all his veg yesterday too more quickly than ge has been. He even was in the cardboard maze again this morning! I am so glad I have got his pain relief under control. Oliver though is eatting a bit less but I think he has sludge build up as vet could feel it in his bladder a couple of weeks ago so a flush looks likely soon. He has had 2 now in 2 years so looks nearly like a yearly thing.

Wow, eating all his pellets. Good to hear that.

Don't the bunnies intend to give you much of a break from worry then? :roll:

Nope we arent allowed to relax lol Though Oliver is in good form very lively so it's just timing it right as i dont want him to be too sore with sludge before i decide. But would guess in the next week or so. I am not panicking about him as he has had it done twice before so though I will worry for the sedation it just won't be as bad. Don't quote me on that though on the day of his flush !!

Back