• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stasis; update, he's eating!

supersonic

Mama Doe
So I've just finished uni, waiting for my parents to come pick me and all my stuff up next weekend. I've spent 3 years at a uni that 400 miles away, I've missed my rabbit, but he's always been the same when I got back.

Now, a week before I go back home for good, mum texts me saying they've had to book him in at the vet because it looked like he didn't eat much overnight and he seems a bit snuffly. Obviously it's not great to wake up to that on a Saturday morning, so as you can imagine I'm a bit upset, especially because I'm a bit fed up with everyone down here at the moment.

Apparently he refused a grape yesterday, his all time favourite, but he's been running around and being his usual sassy self. He's booked in at 11:45, the vet's good, my friend did her work experience there as part of her vet training (shame she's still a student!) and we know a lot of people who go there. Mum worried - she's refusing to go in because she hates animals, so she's driving and sending dad in with Sonic.

Any spare vibes (and 'don't be silly' type comments) would be appreciated, he's 7, so no spring chicken, really!

Last edited:
Many vibes for your bunny & respect to your parents for knowing the signs & taking action. I hope he is on the mend soon x

Thank you. Mum very amused that he has to be booked in as 'Sonic Rogerson'... :roll: An hours wait has never felt so long in my life... I'm just sat in bed waiting to hear back. I wish I was with him :(

He's back! They think it was early signs of stasis, which was what I thought from what mum said. He's had some painkillers, and has been prescribed meloxidyl. They've made an appointment for Monday morning if they think he needs it.

He's otherwise in perfect condition - heart, perfect, lungs, perfect, no mouth problems and the vet told my dad that he could tell Sonic trusts him (which is really nice because dad doesn't usually think so).

I've just been on the phone to mum, as he was bounding round the garden munching on grass. Dad's on poo duty, and they're trying to work out the best way to give him his medicine.

*Just got a message from mum... he's just done 16 poops. I think he was a bit clogged up!

It sounds like he is feeling better already. I am impressed with your parents - esp counting poo. I bet you can't wait to back with him full time

It sounds like he is feeling better already. I am impressed with your parents - esp counting poo. I bet you can't wait to back with him full time

I know! I think they were super paranoid because I'm back next week. He has a habit of freaking me out before I come back - about a week before coming home for easter last year he protected the guinea pig from a fox... He's a one of a kind bun, that's for sure!

sounds like you caught it early and he's already on the mend. it would be unusual for the painkillers to zone him out, but every bun is different. i'd think maybe he's a bit tired after the vet visit and not being completely 100%. obviously keep an eye though (sure your parents will anyway) x

Sounds as though having the Vet palpate his abdomen got things moving and that he is feeling a lot better as a result ! Hope he will soon be fully recovered xx

sounds like you caught it early and he's already on the mend. it would be unusual for the painkillers to zone him out, but every bun is different. i'd think maybe he's a bit tired after the vet visit and not being completely 100%. obviously keep an eye though (sure your parents will anyway) x

Yeah, that makes sense! He's happy to see my parents and sister when they go check him, my sister has prepared him a tasty salad and he'll be getting lots of attention today.

Jane - I think things are definitely moving! When mum told me 16 poos, I was very surprised. Poor thing must have felt very bunged up!

He's back! They think it was early signs of stasis, which was what I thought from what mum said. He's had some painkillers, and has been prescribed meloxidyl. They've made an appointment for Monday morning if they think he needs it.

He's otherwise in perfect condition - heart, perfect, lungs, perfect, no mouth problems and the vet told my dad that he could tell Sonic trusts him (which is really nice because dad doesn't usually think so).

I've just been on the phone to mum, as he was bounding round the garden munching on grass. Dad's on poo duty, and they're trying to work out the best way to give him his medicine.

*Just got a message from mum... he's just done 16 poops. I think he was a bit clogged up!

Yes, very good mother to be counting up the poos :lol:

Such good news, what a relief! x

Back