• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How soon is too soon? Or too late?

MrsCoultas

Mama Doe
I've been thinking about what we're going to do with regards to getting a companion for Ragnar. It's almost been a month since Poppy left and it's still so raw (I know everyone is probably sick of hearing me talk about it, I'm sorry!). Ragnar is still really happy, he gets lots of attention, I've started taking him in the garden and he just generally seems really well in himself and he will be even better (I hope) once he has moved downstairs next week when the dogs have gone home with my in-laws. I can't deny, the last few days I have been looking on rescue sites, I'm not sure if I'm ready though. I think I've been on a bit of an 'adopt don't shop' rampage, and making Ragnar the centre of my life right now, explaining about his beginning in life and the problem with breeders and pet shop buns. I'm not sure if I'm looking at rabbits because I feel like Ragnar needs a companion, if I genuinly feel like we should get another one, or just that I hate that there are bunnies out there that need homes. There is no way that I could even really consider getting another bunny until my husband is home, it wouldn't be fair on him because he needs to grieve. But I'm also worried that he will say no more, that Ragnar will be our last. I know he wants a dog, and I would love a dog but he needs to realise that he wont be the one looking after it 70% of the time as he'll either be in Scotland Monday-Friday or away for months at a time, so we would need to agree on a breed that suits us both and preferable one that would be able to get on with rabbits. I don't know. How long did you wait to get another bunny? If I wait too long is there a chance that Ragnar wont take to a new companion?

You've nothing to apologise for. :)

I can't speak about how long to wait for another rabbit as I've not gone through this with rabbits yet.

But with my ferrets when I lost Rosie and Izzy was by herself I waited a week because Izzy was so depressed. I got her two girls. (Lola and Chance) About a month later I got a male to give her an extra boost. (Frankie)

I think rehoming would be your best bet as maybe they could do the bonding for you? I know you found it stressful with your little girl and Ragnar x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

You've nothing to apologise for. :)

Same! You should feel like you can come on here and talk about her as much as you want to :).

I was wondering how you were doing, as you don't seem to have been around as much.

I don't really know how long you should leave it, but you have time to think about it some more before your husband gets home. I'm the same though, I always browse rescue sites (even though I'm not in a position to get any more).

Yeah, dogs are great, but a lot of work (as you know from recently), which it does sound like you would have to do most of x

Thanks, I don't mean to keep going on, I just feel guilty for constantly unloading everything all the time, I know it's annoying.

I've not been about much, lurking a bit haha. I made the stupid decision to completely reorganise the kitchen, I'm almost finished now, just waiting on some shelving to arrive on Monday and I should be able to finish by Monday evening. No idea why I thought it was a good idea, other than it is going to confuse the hell out of the husband when he gets home! Not that he knows where anything is anyway, he's probably spent a month here in total since we moved in November :lol:

Ragnar seems to be doing really well, still his usual happy self, cheeky as ever so I'm not really worried about him needing a companion at the moment, especially when he'll be moving down stairs a week Monday. He is currently running and jumping everywhere in his room, I just spent the last couple of hours sitting with him, listening to the radio, watching him play. He had his first try of honeydew melon and, as expected, my greedy boy loved it haha. I don't give him a lot of fruit, so when he has it he goes mental for it.

I agree with the rescue bunnies and the bonding thing, I found it incredibly difficult, especially with all the set backs with waiting for Ragnar's hormones to go down, then Poppy being spayed. At least when I go through a rescue they can do a bit of bunny dating and the girly would, ideally, already be spayed so I wont have those set-backs. It'll be something we'll have to think of in the next few weeks.

About the dog thing, we've talked about it before, years ago we both wanted big dogs. I've grown up with weimeraners and he grew up with catalan sheepdogs. But obviously when you're younger you don't have the full responsibility for them. I would absolutely love a smaller dog now, I love dachshunds, we used to call Poppy a miniature dachshund because she sometimes did this really funny walk instead of hopping and had a very dog like personality. We've talked about it so much and he's always said no to a dachshund, he thinks they're cute but not a breed he wants :( But I might get my own way one day. Otherwise, I was thinking something like a miniature schnauzer. Ragnar has come face to face with the spaniel through the baby gate and he doesn't seem too fussed by her, so I think if we were to get either a younger dog or a well trained dog, then we would be able to have them together. But if Ragnar wasn't able to live along side a dog then it would have to just be him, I've said from the beginning when we got him, even if it didn't work out with Poppy then he would still have a home here.

Just a lot to think about! As long as he is happy right now, that is what matters to me.

I honestly don't think that anyone is annoyed by your posts. Don't forget that this is mainly a very supportive community and so upload all you feel you need to.

I think the most important thing right now is that Ragnar is doing really well and is happy. That means that any decision to get him a friend does not have to be made in haste.

I would have a chat about it to your husband when he comes home. I'm sure that Ragnar would love a friend and I think that the idea of getting a rescue to arrange the bonding is a good one. They are experienced and so the bond would have a good chance of success and it would of course be far less stressful for you.

I'm pleased that you are enjoying Ragnar :)

Glad you and Ragnar are doing good. It sounds like he's quite contented at the moment, giving you a chance to decide what to do x

Back