• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cody for vet tomorrow - maybe xray.

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
So after weeks of monitoring and trial and error with pain relief Cody is going to the vet tomorrow with the high possibility of xray now . He hasn't show much difference with twice a day 0.5ml metacam or 10mg tramadol. Tiny bit of teeth grinding this evening. He is eatting his greens eventually and a small amount of pellets but won't eat grass or hay. He is bright enough which is good.

Xray to hopefully help determine if his poorer appetite and not wanting to eat grass or go into garden are down to his inner ear infection, teeth or glaucoma eye. I so hope it's his teeth. Full bloods to be done also.

Hope I have made the right decision to xray first instead of trying other pain meds or upping his penecillian injections.

Some vibes for him for tomorrow would be great.

Sending loads of vibes for Cody for tomorrow. I hope that the x-ray will establish what the cause is for his poor appetite.

So after weeks of monitoring and trial and error with pain relief Cody is going to the vet tomorrow with the high possibility of xray now . He hasn't show much difference with twice a day 0.5ml metacam or 10mg tramadol. Tiny bit of teeth grinding this evening. He is eatting his greens eventually and a small amount of pellets but won't eat grass or hay. He is bright enough which is good.

Xray to hopefully help determine if his poorer appetite and not wanting to eat grass or go into garden are down to his inner ear infection, teeth or glaucoma eye. I so hope it's his teeth. Full bloods to be done also.

Hope I have made the right decision to xray first instead of trying other pain meds or upping his penecillian injections.

I'll be thinking of you Nicky x

I think you're making the right decision. I hope you'll manage to get answers to all those questions and as much info on what's going on with Cody as possible.

No one can say you aren't trying your best. And then some ... x

I hope all goes well for Cody today. I would ask the Vet if Cody will receive supportive fluid therapy as part of the GA protocol. This can be of significant benefit to health compromised/elderly Rabbits if they have to have a GA xx

Thanks Jane. I will defo mention that . Didn't know that could help. Good idea as he hasn't been drinking as much. Thank u for ur vibes xx

So we r back !!Cody got his sedation and teeth and tooth roots r fine. Heart fine bloods all ok. But there is more pus in his ear so it has been his ear causing pain but at least everything else has been ruled out. So he is now on depocillian every other day and sticking with metacam and tramadol twice a day for a check up in a month's time to see if that is helping. Vet also gave me gabapentin jus in case I need it so I would have it. By the time I got there I had myself worked up I thought I would need sedated too. I cannot express how lucky I am to have such an ama zing vet.

Jane mentioned fluids to vet and he was given them just before and after sedation.

I can relax now about the xray ! know we r dealing with the ear which is actually an absess and now and hope we can get Cody more comfortable soon though he ate really well this morning and over night .

So thank u all for ur vibes and support for Cody and his xray they worked !

Wine tonight !!!

So we r back !!Cody got his sedation and teeth and tooth roots r fine. Heart fine bloods all ok. But there is more pus in his ear so it has been his ear causing pain but at least everything else has been ruled out. So he is now on depocillian every other day and sticking with metacam and tramadol twice a day for a check up in a month's time to see if that is helping. Vet also gave me gabapentin jus in case I need it so I would have it. By the time I got there I had myself worked up I thought I would need sedated too. I cannot express how lucky I am to have such an ama zing vet.

Jane mentioned fluids to vet and he was given them just before and after sedation.

I can relax now about the xray ! know we r dealing with the ear which is actually an absess and now and hope we can get Cody more comfortable soon though he ate really well this morning and over night .

Wine tonight !!!

Hopefully the fluids will aid his recovery. I hope that he has a good response to the increased frequency of Depocillin doses. Did the Vet mention combining it with another antibiotic ?

She did mention if there was no improvement at his checkup changing to a different one but ni not combining. What could u combine with it ??

I'm so pleased you've got to the bottom of what was causing Cody's on / off days, its stressful not knowing. Millions of Joey Boo & Mouse vibes that his antibiotics work their magic. What a special little man :love:

I can so empathise with the amazing feeling of trusting your vet implicitly. I had that with my previous vet (FHB) & whereas I do great vibes from Heather, she has yet to see my bunnies through any illness so its not quite the same.

Enjoy your well deserved wine

Wine tonight !!!

Nicky, so lovely to hear this :wave:

I'm glad you've now got clarity on this situation with Cody. Difficult, but not as complex as it might have been with several potential issues.

She did mention if there was no improvement at his checkup changing to a different one but ni not combining. What could u combine with it ??

Morse had Depocillin and Metronidazole at one point. Depocillin and Baytril at another point. Then there is Azythromycin (Zithromax)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Azithromycin.htm

A sulphonamide antibiotic such as Septrin

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Sulphonamides.htm

or Chloramphenicol (Morse had this topically as ear drops)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Sulphonamides.htm

or Cephalexin

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Cephalexin.htm

Last edited:

I certainly think changing to another may be an idea to consider. When they become resistant to one, there's no point in continuing it to encourage further resistance.

Thanls for those links Jane. It's good to know the names of the other options. I know u had alot of experience in this with poor Morse. The vet did mention zithromax as a potential but we r giving it 4 weeks to see on the every other day depocillian first to see if there is an improvement. So he was eatting quite well yesterday evening after the sedation . He is still very bright and taking his meds well this morning and eatting a small amount of pellets and some herbs. At the minute I am giving him him bits and pieces every couple of hours as he won't eat alot in one go and I have to ge careful so Oliver doesnt get Codys food as it's higher calcium stuff which he isn't allowed. So no worse and no better but first of the extra injections today. Thanks for asking after him Jane.

Glad that you got some answers from the x-ray and that Cody came through it well. Sending loads of vibes that the abx work for him. It is wonderful to have a vet that you can trust.

Back