• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance differences

booboobunny

Warren Scout
I'm just looking into rabbit insurance as I'll hopefully be getting a 5th rabbit soon. I can afford vets bills without insurance at the moment but as I'd like to get my own house in the next few years I'd like to avoid any unexpected large costs from now on! But I'm really quite confused - pet plan are quoting around £10.70 per rabbit which is £640 a year. Pets at home insurance are quoting £7.84 per rabbit which is only £470 per year. But which is better? I've looked at both and they seem pretty similar. Does anyone have experience with the pets at home insurance? I've read a lot of good things about pet plan so want to compare from experience. I'd like to keep costs low as one of the rabbits has to have dentals and tear duct flushes every few months which is over £100 each time and insurance doesn't cover existing problems does it? But if it's worth paying more for pet plan then I'll go with them

I'm just looking into rabbit insurance as I'll hopefully be getting a 5th rabbit soon. I can afford vets bills without insurance at the moment but as I'd like to get my own house in the next few years I'd like to avoid any unexpected large costs from now on! But I'm really quite confused - pet plan are quoting around £10.70 per rabbit which is £640 a year. Pets at home insurance are quoting £7.84 per rabbit which is only £470 per year. But which is better? I've looked at both and they seem pretty similar. Does anyone have experience with the pets at home insurance? I've read a lot of good things about pet plan so want to compare from experience. I'd like to keep costs low as one of the rabbits has to have dentals and tear duct flushes every few months which is over £100 each time and insurance doesn't cover existing problems does it? But if it's worth paying more for pet plan then I'll go with them

I believe 'Santa' uses/has used P@H Insurance and she has spoken well of them.

Aaah, sorry I had misread! Mine are all insured with Pets at Home of all places, and it doesn't seem to go up all that much every year - I think I'm still only paying about £90 a year premium with about a £75 excess (probably plus a % now, can't remember off the top of my head), for lifetime cover for each of my two. I wonder if V4P is the same underwriter as PAH because they're all part of the same corporation these days!

Maybe drop her a PM ?

There's this old thread too

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...urance-How-do-you-Rate-it&highlight=INSURANCE

Hi, I've just recently taken out Pet Plan insurance, after asking for some recommendations on here (don't know about p@h, sorry) I think it was £10 or £11 pounds each (I have three rabbits).

I haven't had to make any claims yet, so I can't really comment on that side of things though x

i don't have experience using either of those, but use exotic direct for the guinea pigs. i'd use them for any future rabbits or piggies even if slightly more expensive as they've been really excellent to deal with :wave:

i don't have experience using either of those, but use exotic direct for the guinea pigs. i'd use them for any future rabbits or piggies even if slightly more expensive as they've been really excellent to deal with :wave:

They may have changed their policies, but when I was with them a few years ago, once a condition was done and paid for, it was excluded from the policy.

For that reason I've gone for 'lifetime' policies since.

I am with Pets at Home and they have been good so far. Much cheaper than petplan and they paid out for Winston's unexplained stasis no problem! I don't normally support Pets at Home but would definitely recommend them for insurance.

Back