• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having to put bunny to sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some advice. Sorry for the long post!

My lovely bunny who is nearly 7 suffered an episode of bloat and stasis starting Sunday night. He is prone to tummy trouble and usually just needs a dose of metacam and some of his favourite treats to get things moving again but this time he didn't perk up. I took him to the vet first thing on Monday where he was diagnosed with bloat, stasis and hypothermia. He was treated with painkillers, gut stimulant and syringe feeds and snuggled up with a heat pad. He improved over night but by Tuesday afternoon he'd not made a full recovery. We decided that he might be better at home where he can be with his brother and relax. I brought him home with pain meds and syringe feeds and he started to nibble at hay and some herbs. Wednesday morning his tummy seemed hard again and he was clearly not feeling well so I took him back to the vet where they gave him stronger gut stimulant, IV fluids and more pain killers. An x-ray showed no obstruction but his stomach isn't emptying; he's only passed a few small pooos. The vet advised me that if he doesn't pass any poos this morning we'll have to out him down this afternoon.

I don't want him to suffer and clearly if his stomach isn't emptying he can't survive. Is there anything else that can be tried or should I just accept that he's not going to recover and put him to sleep.

And if he does have to be put to sleep, how will his brother cope? They've been together since birth and although he has us in the house for company we're not bunnies. I know he's nearly 7 but I'd like to think he's got some years left in him, he's very active and healthy.

I'm so worried.

Hi, I can't offer any advise sadly, but try reposting this in the 'health' section of the forum (I'll flag it up there for you too) as there are some really knowledgeable people, who may not have noticed your post here.

I hope something can be done to save them x

Hi

I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some advice. Sorry for the long post!

My lovely bunny who is nearly 7 suffered an episode of bloat and stasis starting Sunday night. He is prone to tummy trouble and usually just needs a dose of metacam and some of his favourite treats to get things moving again but this time he didn't perk up. I took him to the vet first thing on Monday where he was diagnosed with bloat, stasis and hypothermia. He was treated with painkillers, gut stimulant and syringe feeds and snuggled up with a heat pad. He improved over night but by Tuesday afternoon he'd not made a full recovery. We decided that he might be better at home where he can be with his brother and relax. I brought him home with pain meds and syringe feeds and he started to nibble at hay and some herbs. Wednesday morning his tummy seemed hard again and he was clearly not feeling well so I took him back to the vet where they gave him stronger gut stimulant, IV fluids and more pain killers. An x-ray showed no obstruction but his stomach isn't emptying; he's only passed a few small pooos. The vet advised me that if he doesn't pass any poos this morning we'll have to out him down this afternoon.

I don't want him to suffer and clearly if his stomach isn't emptying he can't survive. Is there anything else that can be tried or should I just accept that he's not going to recover and put him to sleep.

And if he does have to be put to sleep, how will his brother cope? They've been together since birth and although he has us in the house for company we're not bunnies. I know he's nearly 7 but I'd like to think he's got some years left in him, he's very active and healthy.

I'm so worried.

Poor Bunny

Has the Vet run any diagnostics to establish whether or not there is a partial/full obstruction in the GI tract ? Diagnostics would include a blood test, especially looking at the blood glucose level and also an abdominal Xray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back