• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore toes on front feet?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I noticed Beano was a bit hesitant to put one of her front feet down, checked it and couldn't see anything the first time but had another look and parted all the fur and she has red sores on each of her toes, on the underneath. I checked her other front paw and it has the same thing, any ideas as to what could have caused this? She's kept free range on carpet and hasn't been outside, it reminded me of seeing those pictures of doggies with burnt pads after walking on hot concrete but she's indoors.

Carpet is actually quite abrasive; my Olly gets sore toes like that sometimes. I put vetbed down in as many places as possible, to try to minimise it...

Thank you, I'm moving soon so was wondering what to put down in the bunnies room as I want something to protect the carpet as it is rented so will search for the softest option.

Thank you, I thought it was a bit random, the fur is still covering her paws and has to be parted a lot to see the soreness so it's not like she's rubbed them sore. :?

I noticed Beano was a bit hesitant to put one of her front feet down, checked it and couldn't see anything the first time but had another look and parted all the fur and she has red sores on each of her toes, on the underneath. I checked her other front paw and it has the same thing, any ideas as to what could have caused this? She's kept free range on carpet and hasn't been outside, it reminded me of seeing those pictures of doggies with burnt pads after walking on hot concrete but she's indoors.

I have found this sort of thing gets worse with age.

It can be exacerbated by carpet, and also by long nails, but sometimes it just happens.

When I've had it, I put a gentle cream on the sore patch to heal it up.

Does Beano having any hind leg/back problems such as arthritis ? This can change the Rabbit's gait and they my take more weight on their front legs than normal.

As ripminnie pointed out, carpet can be abrasive and even if it is not the primary cause of the sore feet it probably wont help the situation. You dont use any of those carpet 'freshner' products do you, the sort that are sprinkled on the carpet and then hoovered up ? If so then they may be causing some skin irritation.

Do you notice Beano licking/chewing at her front feet ? That can indicate pain and arthritis in the actual toe joints can be the cause. Although the Rabbit usually chews the top side of the foot rather than the underside.

Her nails were on the long side, they have been trimmed now. Would sudocrem be ok to put on them, bearing in mind she can reach and lick it?

She does have arthritis in her hips but manages it fairly well but is on Metacam daily. I've never used any products on the carpet, there will have been in the new house after the cleaners but this will be a week before the bunnies and I move in and I will be covering the carpet fully anyway, thinking of foam matting but will need to do more research that they cant chew it as Jake is a chewer.

She has been having the occasional groom of the underside of her toes bless her.

Her nails were on the long side, they have been trimmed now. Would sudocrem be ok to put on them, bearing in mind she can reach and lick it?

She does have arthritis in her hips but manages it fairly well but is on Metacam daily. I've never used any products on the carpet, there will have been in the new house after the cleaners but this will be a week before the bunnies and I move in and I will be covering the carpet fully anyway, thinking of foam matting but will need to do more research that they cant chew it as Jake is a chewer.

She has been having the occasional groom of the underside of her toes bless her.

Trimming the nails may make a difference. I don't use Sudocrem, but my vet does recommend it. As it's ingested and contains chemicals, I prefer not to use it in favour of something more soothing.

I have never found arthritis made a difference to the front legs/paws unless it was particularly advanced.

Creams are so difficult with bunnies :( like MM i'd avoid anything chemically. Essentially it is so difficult (I feel) as creams at best equal butters & oils (obviously not great for if they can be ingested), at worst they contain things like paraffin, if they have water as an ingredient there will be preservatives...its a minefield:(

Thanks both :) Will avoid putting any cream on for now, and hopefully they will heal soon as have bought some vetbed and put that down where she mostly hops/sits. If it persists or gets worse can always pop her down to the vets to see what they think/get some more bunny friendly 'cream' for it since as of next week I will live a 10 minute walk away from the vets (yes that was part of the criteria for moving! :lol: )

Back