• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frozen Treats?

With the weather being esspeically hot lately, me and my partner have been taking measures to help our indoor bunny, Ned, keep cool. I remembered today my family used to make dog food ice cubes for the family dog, and wondered if I could do a little experiment for Ned?

Has anyone done this before? I found one or two videos on youtube, and thought id experiment myself. Not sure Ned would really be into it though.

0e3302617f4911900e867dc042af446d.jpg

-Grass, Yogurt and Berry treats, Dried Pinapple and Papaya, Dried Carrot.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I think frozen treats can shock the rabbits system so it's better to avoid them. Plastic bottles filled with water are a great way for keeping cool, even damp towels in places are good. You can by a special pad for keeping them cool too :)

Well mine get iced stuff, and I did check with the vet last year who said it's ok. this was one of last years batches. It's banana, grape and mint in one set and green beans and basil in the other one.

IcedTreats.jpg

They really loved it and I'll be doing new batches again this year. Both of them didn't have any issues with it at all.

Also, got yoghurt drops should not be fed to your bunny full stop as dairy is really bad for their digestive system.
Oh god, thanks, they said suitable for rabbits on the packaging, but yes they contain milk, I will not be giving these to my bunny again. Thank you.

And maybe ill try one frozen tomorrow and see how it goes then :/ really worried about it now. But thank you for all the wonderful advice though, I will definetly leave some frozen bottles around in future, see if he has any interest in them. That is a great idea.

Oh god, thanks, they said suitable for rabbits on the packaging, but yes they contain milk, I will not be giving these to my bunny again. Thank you.

And maybe ill try one frozen tomorrow and see how it goes then :/ really worried about it now. But thank you for all the wonderful advice though, I will definetly leave some frozen bottles around in future, see if he has any interest in them. That is a great idea.

Unfortunately lots of products say that they are suitable for rabbits when they are not. People often buy treats like this out of the goodness of their heart as they think it will be lovely for their bunnies as they are marketed as suitable for rabbits, not realising that they aren't. He'll be OK if you don't give them anymore though so don't feel too bad :)

Hi Lemony :wave: Welcome to the forum :). It was a really kind idea to think of making the treats for your rabbit, I wouldn't have know that frozen treats are not good either. Also, whilst I haven't brought Yoghurt Drops, you do imagine something that is marketed for rabbits is okay for them x

Yes, I have been warned before not all rabbit friendly-marketed stuff is rabbit friendly, Ill have to be more diligent in future. :(

That being said, slate matts are a great idea to! I definetly need to invest, the other cooling matts I'm seeing on amazon are aimed for dogs and have gel in them. I know Ned would rip it to shreds :/

I'm currently using a Scratch & Newton Ice Pod, it's completed solid, so I don't think they could get their teeth into it and it is advertised for rabbits.

The slate mats are a good idea though, hadn't thought of that!

I should add, my three aren't actually that interested in the ice pod for some reason, but it makes me feel better putting it in for them x

Last edited:
Hi Lemony :wave: Welcome to the forum :). It was a really kind idea to think of making the treats for your rabbit, I wouldn't have know that frozen treats are not good either. Also, whilst I haven't brought Yoghurt Drops, you do imagine something that is marketed for rabbits is okay for them x

Lovely post :)

Just to add you can also use marble tiles for cooling (shiny side up). Works the same as slate but you can normally get them in much bigger sizes

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I don't think ice treats should be an issue. They are going to be gnawing off tiny bits at once, it will be cold water by the time it gets too their tummy - no different to drinking water outside in winter.

Back