• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recommend meds burnt his skin!!

If any of you have been following Storm and his troublesome antics then I'm sure you will have seen that he is due to have the pins taken out of his leg next week. (hooray!) As this will be done at a vets in Ipswich and there has been an outbreak of RHD2 in a different part of Ipswich, I naturally asked if there was anything that I could do that would lower the risk of him catching it and they suggested xenex. I listened to their advice and brought some as they are very rabbit savvy and applied it about half an hour ago. It was only on him for about 20 minutes before I had to rushto the bathroom to wash it off him as it was making him scratch lots and he just looked very uncomfortable. After washing it off I discovered a huge red patch where I had put it on and it had burnt his skin! Safe to say I won't be using that ever again!

I thought xenex was used as a disinfectant (although may be wrong), and wouldn't have thought putting it on a rabbit would lower the risk of him catching RHD2, I'm sorry it has burnt Storm and I hope his skin soon heals. I would ring the vets back and let them know what's happened, and hope they won't suggest it's use on rabbits again!

I thought xenex was used as a disinfectant (although may be wrong), and wouldn't have thought putting it on a rabbit would lower the risk of him catching RHD2, I'm sorry it has burnt Storm and I hope his skin soon heals. I would ring the vets back and let them know what's happened, and hope they won't suggest it's use on rabbits again!
It's used to treat fleas, ticks and mites, which is why they suggested it. I will definitely be calling them in the morning though to tell them what it did to my poor little man. He's been scratching frantically for about 20 minutes now and I feel awful.

It's used to treat fleas, ticks and mites, which is why they suggested it. I will definitely be calling them in the morning though to tell them what it did to my poor little man. He's been scratching frantically for about 20 minutes now and I feel awful.

Ah yes that rings a bell! You wasn't to know, I hope it calms down soon. I'm not sure if there's anything you could put on it to soothe it or whether it's best left alone, some one more knowledgeable may be able to advise you on that.

Yes I guess they thought it might repel biting insects and give him a bit of protection.

Poor Storm! As if he hasn't had enough going on for him - how unlucky for you.

I hope he gets better very soon and his pin removal goes well xx

Ah yes that rings a bell! You wasn't to know, I hope it calms down soon. I'm not sure if there's anything you could put on it to soothe it or whether it's best left alone, some one more knowledgeable may be able to advise you on that.
I have been bathing it in cold water to soothe it (he lives indoors so won't get cold) and have given a small amount of metacam to help with the pain. I just hate seeing him keep scratching and clearly uncomfortable bless him, it's driving him bonkers [emoji20]

Yes I guess they thought it might repel biting insects and give him a bit of protection.

Poor Storm! As if he hasn't had enough going on for him - how unlucky for you.

I hope he gets better very soon and his pin removal goes well xx
Yeah, that was the thinking behind it.

I know, poor baby! Out of all of the things that have happened to him, this is clearly making him the most uncomfortable. Hoping the metacam will help with that though bless him. (given ranitidine to contradict the gut slowing properties of the metacam too)

I'm so sorry this happened. :( There were several threads a few years back now with rabbits having bad reactions to xenex, similar to the problems you've described.

It's worth mentioning it to the vet definitely - it's listed on the datasheet as a side effect with a small number of animals and it will help for them to have some feedback if and when those reactions occur. You did the right thing by washing it off as quickly as possible; I hope the soreness doesn't last long.

Was it Xenex or Xeno?

Xenex is permethrin, mine had Xeno recently due to some lice, which is ivermectin. Was the Xenex definitely the rabbit/small animal one?

I'm so sorry this happened. :( There were several threads a few years back now with rabbits having bad reactions to xenex, similar to the problems you've described.

It's worth mentioning it to the vet definitely - it's listed on the datasheet as a side effect with a small number of animals and it will help for them to have some feedback if and when those reactions occur. You did the right thing by washing it off as quickly as possible; I hope the soreness doesn't last long.

I tried to speak to them but they were busy so I'm calling back later to tell them about it. He seems less irritated by it today so hopefully it's only going to improve from here.

Was it Xenex or Xeno?

Xenex is permethrin, mine had Xeno recently due to some lice, which is ivermectin. Was the Xenex definitely the rabbit/small animal one?
Yes it was, the vet prescribed it to me with the instructions and it said only for small animals.

One of my rats reacts badly to ivermec. It's often the carrier not the active that causes the problem. I always put sudocrem on him after the mite stuff has dried and it really helps. Sudocrem is ok for buns, people often use it for sore hocks.

One of my rats reacts badly to ivermec. It's often the carrier not the active that causes the problem. I always put sudocrem on him after the mite stuff has dried and it really helps. Sudocrem is ok for buns, people often use it for sore hocks.
I did know that sudocrem could be used on bunnies but I wasn't sure what for haha. Thank you :)

Back