• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

On a rescue mission... UD: PROUD BUNNY MUMMY MOMENT

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
No more details, but vibes and luck for the situation please?

Will update as and when I can. I hope everything will work out ok...

Last edited:
I think the ball is rolling, but there's a lot of links to this chain, so to speak. Hope I will have more news later. It's driving me a bit mad with concern though. And all I know about the bun in question is... it's white.

BUN IS HOME.

He's a stunning little mini rex buck, some kind of point rather than pure white; can't be older than 6 months. In surprisingly good health considering the conditions he was kept in.

Will post more details in the morning. HOWEVER suffice to say everyone is smitten, even the stubborn OH. I don't doubt that this is his forever home.

Here's the story behind this rescue:

Poor bun was being advertised as "Anyone want a white rabbit? Need gone." on a generic Facebook selling group. Somebody had asked for more details, but I quickly said I'd take it. I knew bun needed a good home, even if it isn't mine.

Throughout the day, I had to wait agonisingly for news of poor bun. Basically, this lady rents a flat and had a friend move in. They found bun had been abandoned by the previous family who had returned home to Portugal. Not wanting to keep bun, she advertised on FB on his behalf and that's where I stepped in.

Yesterday evening, we went to pick bun up. When we got there, I saw this darling little point mini rex. A youngster too, I think. This is what bun was abandoned in:

P1060566_zpslryonwo1.jpg

I was horrified - and said it was too small for a hamster. The woman said, "That's what I thought too!"

So, we transferred bun into a hay-lined carrier and took bun away. I had a brief look and thought bun was a little boy (but now am no way near so sure). On the way home, bun kept moving around in the carrier (which is the same dimensions as the "cage" but taller!) and started eating hay. I was relieved by that, to be honest. As there was no sign of hay I was worried that bun would be anti-hay.

When we got home, I introduced bun to OH and Mum and I had a cuddle. We introduced bun to the quad and bun kept binkying and stomping. I think eventually bun will settle but right now bun is "Bun on Hyperdrive" - I've never seen a rabbit with so much energy!

Bun isn't with the quad right now, nobody had settled down enough last night. So, we made a temporary makeshift pen for bun to spend the night in. Bun is happy enough in it but I'll be happy when they have more space.

Anyway, pictures:

P1060577_zpsh3y37c7i.jpg

What kind of point is bun? Seal? Chocolate?

P1060578_zps5oaaxypl.jpg

P1060581_zpsoecazdvt.jpg

That face! :love:

As I covered the run with an old curtain, somebody decided to make a hammock out of it (until bun nipped her from underneath!) So, bonus Zara:

P1060580_zpstwhpm4mm.jpg

Ok so I keep looking (poor bun) and I think my "buck" might be a doe. Why is it so difficult with Rabbits?

Pictures - help appreciated!:

P1060573_zps4lq4kmg5.jpg

P1060572_zpsjfjrzhbl.jpg

I have used the gender neutral "Bun" for now, however it must be said that "Bun" is Zeus if a boy and Persephone if a girl.

So yes, that's the story behind this one... :)

Looks like persephone to me - a mini rex - seal?

Well done!
That's what I thought on my second look - but (s)he's at the vet at 4.15 so I'll know for definite then. Definitely a mini rex (I have 2 standard rexes for comparison ;) )

I already have 5 does, I think I was gunning for a buck to equal out numbers. :lol:

Glad that she is no longer in such an unsuitable environment. I think Bun is a 'she', but cant be 100% certain,( a bit more pressure is needed on the prepuce !) She's a Chocolate Point. The fur on feet may go darker to match her ears and nose.

I'd keep Bun quarantined from your other Rabbits for at least 14 days if I were you. Hope Bun settles in well.

Aw, he/she (no idea :)) is lovely. So sad they were abandoned. It must be like being released from prison, no wonder they are on 'hyperdrive' x

Glad that she is no longer in such an unsuitable environment. I think Bun is a 'she', but cant be 100% certain,( a bit more pressure is needed on the prepuce !) She's a Chocolate Point. The fur on feet may go darker to match her ears and nose.

I'd keep Bun quarantined from your other Rabbits for at least 14 days if I were you. Hope Bun settles in well.

Thank you, as always, for your sage advice, Jane, re: sexing and quarantine. Bun/Persephezeus/Probably Persephone is at the vets later this afternoon so I will get confirmation then.

I have no idea how old she is, given her background, but she's beautiful however her fur changes colour. :love:

Also, thanks all. It seems like everyone is happy all around with how things are turning out. Just fingers and paws crossed that Bun is healthy regardless of sex!

He/she bun is absolutely stunning :love:

That cage is exactly the same type that we found our Sheldon in - we had gone to a house to pick up a chair we'd bought on Ebay - and there was this rabbit not moving in this tiny cage. The woman said 'take it if you want - stupid thing doesn't do anything'...so we did, thinking the poor rabbit was desperately ill and at least we could provide vet care. Sheldon wasn't ill - far from it. Just needed space - and boy did he zoom around when he got it - and didn't stop zooming for months :lol:

I am so please bun has a fabulous new home - and new bunny buddies to come too. Lovely heart warming story :love:

Back