• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed for student project :)

Kat_Mac

New Kit
Hi :)

I was wondering if anyone would mind helping me out with a potentially odd request.

I am doing a student project on rabbit welfare and I really need some help with average head size in rabbits. Would anyone be willing to measure their rabbit's head for me??

These are the measurements I am looking for:
rabbit_measurements_by_neon_tiger_7-da5bsh2.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

That's definitely a new one. Can you tell us what the projects on? I'm very curious now!

If you don't get enough replies then you could try your local rabbit rescue they might let you pop a long and measure and that would give you a wide range of adult rabbits :)

Ooh, yes, I want to know!

I'm afraid I'm not back from uni for another 2 weeks, but if you still need some then, let me know and I'll measure Sonic for you.

That's definitely a new one. Can you tell us what the projects on? I'm very curious now!

If you don't get enough replies then you could try your local rabbit rescue they might let you pop a long and measure and that would give you a wide range of adult rabbits :)

Absolutely! I am comparing different methods of reducing stress whilst you handle rabbits and one of the methods I am looking at is covering the eyes. So I am hoping to make a small mask that can be used to cover the eyes during handling :)

Thanks, I'll try that :)

I make no guarantees at being able to get these but I'll try :lol: How accurate are you looking for?

Thanks for the help! It doesn't have to very accurate :) it's just to give me an idea of how big I would need to make the mask to fit a wide variety of rabbits :)

Aren't they going to be terrified by someone trying to cover up their eyes?

Hopefully not, it's something that is already done quite readily in rehoming centres and rehabilitation centres (with wild rabbits), but there hasn't been any scientific investigation into whether or not it actually improves welfare. So that's what I am trying to find out, if it really does decrease stress then it could be great, particularly for rehoming centres where rabbits are often very nervous of people, but if it makes no difference or even increases stress then it's important that we have evidence to discourage people from using it as a handling technique :)

Back