• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is boarding so expensive?!

JemimaH

Warren Veteran
Going away in just under 3 weeks. Have just booked Alfie in at our vets...at the cost of £12.50 per day :shock: that's £200 for one rabbit! It'll cost less than that to board our two cats elsewhere.

Why are there no decent-looking boarders within 20/30 minutes of me? The closest one is 40 minutes away but a) they're probably fully booked and b) Alf does not like travelling so wouldn't want to go that far really. I've spent the whole morning looking.

Aaaaarrrggghh :( So much for my savings!

Last edited:
We paid £8 per night :) It would've been £15+ for home visits! OH said we should stop taking long holidays :lol:

Going away in just under 3 weeks. Have just booked Alfie in at our vets...at the cost of £12.50 per day :shock: that's £200 for one rabbit! It'll cost less than that to board our two cats elsewhere.

Why are there no decent-looking boarders within 20/30 minutes of me? The closest one is 40 minutes away but a) they're probably fully booked and b) Alf does not like travelling so wouldn't want to go that far really. I've spent the whole morning looking.

Aaaaarrrggghh :( So much for my savings!

Vets tend to be expensive, and I find that (at least where I am) the cages are small and the rabbits get no exercise as the vets and nurses are busy.

I would travel some distance for a trusted boarder. Holidays are a nightmare though :shock:

Vets tend to be expensive, and I find that (at least where I am) the cages are small and the rabbits get no exercise as the vets and nurses are busy.

I would travel some distance for a trusted boarder. Holidays are a nightmare though :shock:

Yeah, the cages aren't massive, which is a shame. I know he gets exercise though, they're very good with him and have said before they let him out for a run round (he's in the separate exotics practice), but it'd be nicer if the cages were bigger. He's a lazy bun at the best of times but it'd reassure me more! There's just nowhere round here that looks decent - closest that looks a possibility is 50 minutes each way. It's a long way to drive (I can't drive yet so have to rely on others) and a long way for Alf when he struggles to do the 15 minute journey to the vets :( I'm also funny about house sitters - I don't like the idea of him being alone all day and all night bar the 30 minute visit!

I love holidays, but I hate them at the same time :lol: he's more stressful than the cats, and we were let down by their usual place this time!

I paid £8 a night at Hopp Inn in Leicestershire and they were fantastic. It was convenient as I was going past it, otherwise it's a good hour away, but given no other options I would absolutely drive that far even if it was out of the way (having said that my buns aren't fazed by travelling to any great extent).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just don't bother going on holiday! We have day trips out instead! Too much stress worrying about getting care for the pets.

I just paid £20 per day for a lovely lady to come in and see the cat & rabbit twice a day, it's £10 a visit.

Have you checked local websites to see if there is anybody who offers a home service near you? For me it's much easier and I think it must be less stressful for the animals to be staying at home.

Vet Nurses often to Pet/House Sitting to top up their income. Maybe you could speak with the VNs at your Vet's Surgery.

We pay £10 a day for my two, but I trust Anna 100% she is such a fountain of knowledge and I know they're in safe hands, tbh I'd pay more, for the piece of mind that they're ok. I don't think its a lot really though, she cleans them out, provide hay, veg, water etc, checks them over...

Back