• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudden Death in Rabbits

Lozzibear

Warren Scout
I have had three rabbits dying suddenly, with no signs of illness or any problems what so ever... literally going from normal, happy to dead within hours. One was a 3 year old rescue bun in March 2015, the next was a 10 month old in August 2015 and the most recently, 19 months in June 2016. The last two were rehomed but originally bought in Pets At Home. I am not sure where the first one came from but I would hazard a guess he was from a similar start.

What can cause such sudden death in rabbits? While this has been happening, I have another rabbit who was bonded with them who is absolutely fine...

I'm so sorry for your losses :cry:
Sadly without a post mortem you can't definitely state the cause. Where you rabbits vaccinated?
There is also a new variant of the vhd virus spreading through the uk for which the vaccine is only just becoming available.
You will find futher information on this on the Rabbit Wefare webpage.

I have had three rabbits dying suddenly, with no signs of illness or any problems what so ever... literally going from normal, happy to dead within hours. One was a 3 year old rescue bun in March 2015, the next was a 10 month old in August 2015 and the most recently, 19 months in June 2016. The last two were rehomed but originally bought in Pets At Home. I am not sure where the first one came from but I would hazard a guess he was from a similar start.

What can cause such sudden death in rabbits? While this has been happening, I have another rabbit who was bonded with them who is absolutely fine...

I am so very sorry. Whilst I realise this is a very distressing time for you I do strongly advise you to obtain full post mortems on your deceased Rabbits. There is now another strain of RHD/VHD called RHD2 and at the moment there is not countrywide availability of a vaccine that offers protection. The vaccine currently in use, Nobivac Myxo-RHD only offers protection against VHD1 and Myxomatosis.

These links may provide you with more information, if you can manage to take a look. The first link does contain a couple of images that you may find distressing, but the text is valuable information for all Rabbit Owners

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/infectious-disease/rabbit-haemorrhagic-disease

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks8w12op_p4

http://www.rabbitawareness.co.uk/2016/05/30/rvhd2-the-latest-update/

Again, I am truly sorry for your tragic losses :cry:

Thank you for the replies. They were all vaccinated, not against RHD2 though. I had considered that but I wondered how likely it was, at least for all three, to die over the space of 15 months and for all to show no symptoms (I know they don't have to show symptoms) and also for my remaining rabbit to have survived the whole time. She is actually due vaccinations soon so I am going to speak to my vet first about the RHD2 vaccination coming over here.

It is hard not knowing as you hear of such things as RHD2 but then also hear of rabbits dying suddenly for no apparent cause as they can be quite fragile animals.

Thank you for the replies. They were all vaccinated, not against RHD2 though. I had considered that but I wondered how likely it was, at least for all three, to die over the space of 15 months and for all to show no symptoms (I know they don't have to show symptoms) and also for my remaining rabbit to have survived the whole time. She is actually due vaccinations soon so I am going to speak to my vet first about the RHD2 vaccination coming over here.

It is hard not knowing as you hear of such things as RHD2 but then also hear of rabbits dying suddenly for no apparent cause as they can be quite fragile animals.
I am terribly sorry for all of your losses. I just wanted to let you know that according to RWAF the RHD2 vaccine will be available approximately from mid June, however I don't know if that applies to all vets, just thought I would give you a rough estimate. x

Thank you. I saw last night, when googling RHD2, that it was coming to this country after having to be ordered in specifically. My vet is very rabbit savvy, keeps up to date on all things rabbits so I am hoping she is getting some or can get some. I am going to call when they open. I wish I knew if my most recent one died from RHD2, but I was told it was too late for a PM. If it was RHD2 how would I make the place safe both for Luna, my remaining rabbit, and any additions I get to bond with Luna?

Thank you. I saw last night, when googling RHD2, that it was coming to this country after having to be ordered in specifically. My vet is very rabbit savvy, keeps up to date on all things rabbits so I am hoping she is getting some or can get some. I am going to call when they open. I wish I knew if my most recent one died from RHD2, but I was told it was too late for a PM. If it was RHD2 how would I make the place safe both for Luna, my remaining rabbit, and any additions I get to bond with Luna?
Yeah, fingers crossed! Make sure you thoroughly scrub everywhere that the bunnies have been with a strong cleaning solution (such as bleach), including shoes and boil clothes. It may also be worth taking your remaining bunny to the vets for a check-up if you haven't already.

Called the vet and they said they won't be getting the RHD2 vaccine in... but the receptionist didn't really seem to know much about what I was asking so I might just go in and speak to the vet directly... not sure what to do about her vaccinations in the meantime... whether to go in and get the other ones done or wait.

Called the vet and they said they won't be getting the RHD2 vaccine in... but the receptionist didn't really seem to know much about what I was asking so I might just go in and speak to the vet directly... not sure what to do about her vaccinations in the meantime... whether to go in and get the other ones done or wait.
I usually ask to speak to a vet or nurse about things like that because they know more about it. Are the vaccinations that they need (besides RHD2) top ups or the first ones?

Sorry to hear about your losses. I had two rabbits die within two days, again both vaccinated, so I know how horrible it is when you don't know why. I was also left with one rabbit out of the bonded trio who survived.

We think we may have a reason for ours - we had a yew bush in the part of the garden which the rabbits don't normally have access to, but my partner had lopped the top off it a few days prior to the deaths, so we can only assume they somehow got hold of some of the leaves, as yew leaves are small and look a bit like grass when you're standing. It's only when you get closer that you can see they're yew leaves.

I know it's a long shot, but could yours have had access to something they shouldn't have?

So sorry again for your losses.

I usually ask to speak to a vet or nurse about things like that because they know more about it. Are the vaccinations that they need (besides RHD2) top ups or the first ones?

She needs her top up vaccinations. I will speak to the vet first.

Sorry to hear about your losses. I had two rabbits die within two days, again both vaccinated, so I know how horrible it is when you don't know why. I was also left with one rabbit out of the bonded trio who survived.

We think we may have a reason for ours - we had a yew bush in the part of the garden which the rabbits don't normally have access to, but my partner had lopped the top off it a few days prior to the deaths, so we can only assume they somehow got hold of some of the leaves, as yew leaves are small and look a bit like grass when you're standing. It's only when you get closer that you can see they're yew leaves.

I know it's a long shot, but could yours have had access to something they shouldn't have?

So sorry again for your losses.

That must have been awful, so sorry. I don't think so... I have just starting foraging again, now that everything is growing nicely, but I am very careful and make sure to pick things I know. It was all things he had last year as well so nothing new. I will need to check the garden in case something new is growing that I haven't noticed as they do get access to the garden.

Back