• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing For 3 Netherland Dwarfs

Bonio

New Kit
Hi Folks

I'm new to the forum, and was wanting advice on the above........ I have been looking at a 5ft x 2ft double story with run, is this sufficient,I was advised on a 4ft x 2ft for 2 originally ??? any help and advise appreciated.

Hello! Welcome to the forum.

Netherland Dwarves may be small in size but they make up for that with energy. A hutch on it's own won't be big enough for them and if you try and coop up that energy - you'll end up with aggressive grumpy rabbits.

I would recommend no less than a 6x2x2 hutch with a 6x8 run - this is the minimum recommended by the Rabbit Welfare Association. But for them it may be better to go even larger with a 6x10 run and have a larger "indoor" space such as a shed or playhouse.

This sums up Netherland Dwarf energy for me!

As big as you can is best. Although nethies are small they are active so they'll want lots of space to run, hop and jump. The minimum housing guidelines are 6'x2'x2' for a hutch and then a linked exercise run that's a minimum of 8'x4'. Generally I'd go for more run space rather than double storey hutch i.e. sit a single hutch on top the run but it doesn't make too much difference. The downside with double stories is the ramp can take up a lot of space.

You might also want to look at sheds/runs or dog kennel/runs, sometimes there isn't much between that and hutches in price but being taller make access for cleaning out and interacting much easier!

Thank you for thee feed back, the 6x2 is the next size up, with a 6 x 8 run as a separate or integrated part of the cage.

Always go for integrated and make sure it's on secure ground to avoid them digging out (and nothing digging in!). What brand of hutch are you looking at?

If it's more practical for the space you have you can link them with a tunnel as another option. I'd also go for linked as that way they have more time with the extra space :)

I ended up with a 6x2 over two levels, with a 6x8 run in addition that can be part of the cage or can be moved away from the cage...... it was bought from a local garden centre, so I cant tell you the make, it is like a tardis :) thank you for your help folks,the bunnies will get lots of running time......

Back