• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scary experience at the vets!

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Yesterday I had to take Sylar to the vets, he'd gone off his food and he wasn't eating any of his favourite things so I knew something wasn't quite right. Sylar is quite a greedy Rabbit and I'm quite aware that since his brother has been poorly that he's being over indulging a little and eating more than his fair share of the food. He's got a bit chunky :roll:
So we turn up to our appointment and there is a new, locum vet at the surgery. He asks me what's wrong with him and I tell him that he's not eating. He picks him up out of his carry case and says 'He doesn't need to eat, he's fat!' and I just stood their with my mouth open looking stunned. I said to him that all Rabbits need to eat and that he wasn't right in himself either and then he asked me what I wanted him to do!!!! I suggested maybe a gut stimulant and some Metacam and he pulled his face at me and proceeded to ask me if he had diarrhea or vomiting... VOMITING?! I told him that Rabbits don't vomit and he replied saying that 'All animals vomit'. I kept pushing for the gut stimulant and in the end it was agreed that Sylar should see another vet that knows more about Rabbits.
Now... I'm no expert but I'd like to think that I do my best to learn about my Rabbits and I find it quite disturbing that this so called vet should be anywhere near them. I don't know whether or not to complain, I don't do complaints but I do find it quite worrying.

Last edited:
Yesterday I had to take Sylar to the vets, he'd gone off his food and he wasn't eating any of his favourite things so I knew something wasn't quite right. Sylar is quite a greedy Rabbit and I'm quite aware that since his brother has been poorly that he's being over indulging a little and eating more than his fair share of the food. He's got a bit chunky :roll:
So we turn up to our appointment and there is a new, locum vet at the surgery. He asks me what's wrong with him and I tell him that he's not eating. He picks him up out of his carry case and says 'He doesn't need to eat, he's fat!' and I just stood their with my mouth open looking stunned. I said to him that all Rabbits need to eat and that he wasn't right in himself either and then he asked me what I wanted him to do!!!! I suggested maybe a gut stimulant and some Metacam and he pulled his face at me and proceeded to ask me if he had diarrhea or vomiting... VOMITING?! I told him that Rabbits don't vomit and he replied saying that 'All animals vomit'. I kept pushing for the gut stimulant and in the end it was agreed that Sylar should see another vet that knows more about Rabbits.
Now... I'm no expert but I'd like to think that I do my best to learn about my Rabbits and I find it quite disturbing that this so called vet should be anywhere near them. I don't know whether or not to complain, I don't do complaints but I do find it quite worrying.

That is truly shocking. I don't like to complain but I did when Mouse was seen by an incompetent vet who was savvy in comparison to who you saw. I think the complaint needs to happen on behalf of the bunnies who might see this vet with owners less able to advocate for them than you are. I'm sure your vets would like to be made aware.

How is Sylar now ?

That is truly shocking. I don't like to complain but I did when Mouse was seen by an incompetent vet who was savvy in comparison to who you saw. I think the complaint needs to happen on behalf of the bunnies who might see this vet with owners less able to advocate for them than you are. I'm sure your vets would like to be made aware.

How is Sylar now ?
This!

I hope Lil man is okay xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Shocking :shock:

Complain to the Practice Manager, or whoever the head vet is. They are probably completely unaware that this vet knows nothing about rabbits. There again, they should know who they are employing.

Have no qualms about complaining - or someone else's bunny may just die as a result. It's constructive and absolutely necessary :D

He actually said to me 'I'm only here till Friday so I'll pass you on to the other vet!' and I'd never been so relieved in my life! His English wasn't very good so he had a nurse with him to help out and even she apologised to me when he left the room and said 'I don't think he's very experienced with Rabbits' :shock: Surprise surprise!!!

He seems a lot better today, he finally got a gut stimulant and he's eating again. He's had a tough few weeks so hopefully it was just a case of him being a bit down in the dumps. They checked his teeth and apparently he's got a few spurs so he's going to need a dental (his first one) at some point so I'm going to have a good read up on what it involves.

I agree with what everyone else has said. I've just seen your update and pleased that Sylar seems a lot better today.

Yes I think you are right, I think a quiet word is needed. If I hadn't known better I would have come away with no gut stimulant and thinking that it was OK for Sylar to starve. Scary!

He actually said to me 'I'm only here till Friday so I'll pass you on to the other vet!' and I'd never been so relieved in my life! His English wasn't very good so he had a nurse with him to help out and even she apologised to me when he left the room and said 'I don't think he's very experienced with Rabbits' :shock: Surprise surprise!!!

He seems a lot better today, he finally got a gut stimulant and he's eating again. He's had a tough few weeks so hopefully it was just a case of him being a bit down in the dumps. They checked his teeth and apparently he's got a few spurs so he's going to need a dental (his first one) at some point so I'm going to have a good read up on what it involves.

Thanks to your knowledge and persistence Sylar is doing OK. Heavens only knows what would've happened otherwise.

If it had happened 6 months ago there is a very good chance that I'd of taken his advice and gone home without any treatment.

I agree with everyone else. As someone who is fairly new to rabbits, I might have just taken the vets word for it, assuming that they know best (although I'm less likely to now having joined this forum and reading people's experiences). Glad your rabbit is doing ok x

Definitely complain someone less knowledgeable then yourself could of seen him with their rabbit and left without needed urgent medication

What an awful vet. I've had Frances HB round the corner for so long - now she is no longer practicing I do worry about whether I will end up with a rabbit savvy vet or not. The first time I saw a different vet they neutered Dylan who died on the operating table. Now I'm even more worried. I hope you will still complain...at least then the practice won't use that vet again.

Back