• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with a sore on her back

ANNASBUNNIES

Warren Scout

I have just gone out to give my rabbit her pain meds and Panacur and have noticed this on her back. She was seen by the vet yesterday and I didn't notice it when we returned as gave her her pains meds. Does any body know what it might be?

Could she have had a scrap with another rabbit? Does she live with any others? Or is there any way she could have hurt herself in the hutch? Is there any loose wire or something that may have broken or come away that she could have caught herself on?

Could she have had a scrap with another rabbit? Does she live with any others? Or is there any way she could have hurt herself in the hutch? Is there any loose wire or something that may have broken or come away that she could have caught herself on?

She lives with her Husbun they have been together nearly 5 years he is blind so I don't think they would have had a scrap.
There is nothing in her kennel that she could of hurt herself on. She did go the vets the day before so I will check her basket and see if she might if hurt herself there. I have spoken to the vet and they said put sudacreme on it.

Is this the Rabbit with the hind leg problems ? If so she may be chewing at a certain 'hot spot' of pain in her back. Or if she is getting some tingling from the spinal nerves that may make her chew at the effected area.

I have just gone out to give my rabbit her pain meds and Panacur and have noticed this on her back. She was seen by the vet yesterday and I didn't notice it when we returned as gave her her pains meds. Does any body know what it might be?

Could it have been an injection? Sometimes injections cause sore spots at the site. It can happen within a few days of any injection.

Otherwise it looks like it could be her scratching at herself. Are her claws very long? Might be worth trimming them, if so to prevent this. I think you or the vet would've noticed it yesterday, so it's probably very recent.

Is this the Rabbit with the hind leg problems ? If so she may be chewing at a certain 'hot spot' of pain in her back. Or if she is getting some tingling from the spinal nerves that may make her chew at the effected area.

Thanks Jack's-Jane, Yes, it is the rabbit with the hind legs problems. I will have another look at it later as she just keeps running away from me now so don't want to stress her to much. Just do it when I need to give her Meds.

Could it have been an injection? Sometimes injections cause sore spots at the site. It can happen within a few days of any injection.

She hasn't had any injections and it's more the lower back by hips.

Otherwise it looks like it could be her scratching at herself. Are her claws very long? Might be worth trimming them, if so to prevent this. I think you or the vet would've noticed it yesterday, so it's probably very recent.

I have trimmed her claws as her hocks were getting sore so made sure they were short.

Back