• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggression after loss of partner

Laureyxo

New Kit
My boy bun seemed fine for about a week after our girl bun passed away (around a fortnight ago) but for the last few days he's stopped coming out of his indoor cage and is lunging at me and nipping/scratching me every time I try and feed him or get him out.
He does have a history of biting the hand that feeds him but not usually this badly and he has backed himself into the corner of his cage and won't come out.
I'm not 100% sure of what to do with him to be honest, his door is open so he can come out when he wants but he doesn't want to. He hates cuddles, he won't be held only stroked so we are giving him as much attention as he will allow but at the moment that is minimal.
Is this possibly grief related?

I am sorry you lost your bunny :( it could well be grief related. When we lost Frankie late last year her sister who lived in the same room as her (even though they were separate and couldn't see each other they were well aware they had a room mate) started to act strangely. She went quite nervous and aggressive & it carried on for a while. The only thing I could do was to distract her with toys & dried dandelion for her to look for etc and to not let her win by not backing off when she grunted and lunged at me. She would still be grunting as I stroked her head but I carried on and it was as though she suddenly remembered she enjoyed it and liked me. She is ok again now thankfully, even though the rest of my family are still a little nervous of her! I hope it is the same for your boy. You could always pop him along to the vet (I know how hard that is for a bunny who won't be held though!) for a check up for peace of mind xxx

Back