• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best room to keep rabbit in.

Dylan123

Warren Scout
Hi so currently Dexter has free range of my bedroom but I think if he was in a more busy room he would get lots more attention from everybody rather than just by me.
I'm thinking about asking my parents to if Dexter can move into the kitchen. (He's neutered and litter trained) What I was thinking about is putting an indoor cage in the utility room with door constantly open but I have a few concerns.
The positives are:
Lots more Space.
More attention
Easy to clean floor
No exposed wires
Dexter's generally good at not chewing furniture just clothes but nothing's left on the floor.
Cons:
I have a dog that can open doors. He is fairly trustworthy with Dexter.
Can't have toys lying around on the floor like in my bedroom just in the cage which will always be open.
I have to convince my parents.
Do you think the pros outweigh the cons? Any advice? Thanks for any replies.

I'd be anxious about your dog getting in there while you're out. I know you say they're generally trustworthy but it only takes one miscommunication, a slip etc.
If you convince your parents would there be a way to doggie proof the door?

That's one of my main concerns and the kitchen is where his food and water bowl is. Not really because if a door is closed he scratches the door until someone let's him in. He's far from a puppy he's 9 years old.

Hi, I think if it was me I'd keep him where he is, in the bedroom.

I don't think I could relax with the possibility of the dog being around and also with all the comings and goings in a kitchen.

Is there a way to give him more space in your bedroom?. For example does he have different levels, things to climb on etc? x

He has plenty of space in my bedroom,he has the full room and it's not a small room. I'd just really like him to be more of a family pet that gets attention from everyone. He really loves the attention when he sees me he comes hopping over for head rubs. I wouldn't 100% trust my dog,when out for walks if he sees something running at all he chases it he's very good with my pets I'd just rather not risk it. I could ask my parents if he could stay in the conservatory and have a crate to keep his mess contained with a crate cover so it looks nice. My main concern in there is that's where the clotheshorse goes(Dexter loves to redecorate fabric) and the electrical wires,but that's easily fixed but it's a smaller room than my bedroom.

Yeah, maybe see what your parents say about your ideas.

I get the attention thing, our rabbits live outside and I often think it would be nice if they were indoors, so we could see them more. We have 2 dogs though, who I'm certain would be after them constantly.

Have you thought about getting him a rabbit friend? I'm fairly new to rabbit ownership, but there's lots of people on here who can advise about bonding (unless you already know, of course!) x

He gets plenty of attention from me,but I feel it isn't enough and I'd like him to be around people all day which he would enjoy. I had a 7 year old doe before I got Dexter. I was going to wait until Dexter was neutered and then introduce them but she died this Christmas and my parents won't let me get another rabbit so unfortunately it's not an option.

Oh, I'm really sorry you lost your other rabbit :(

Good luck with whatever you decide to do for Dexter, I'm sure you will find the perfect solution x

would getting him a friend be an option?
I know plenty of people on here have their buns happily in the kitchen, but mine don't approve of the kitchen at all - I think it's all the cooking smells and noises. So it might be worth seeing how he feels in there? If he doesn't like it then that's taken the decision out of your hands. If he does you're only back where you started.

Getting him a friend really isn't an option,unfortunately. I was just talking to my parents and they said my room or outside so my room is the only option. Dexter's deaf so noises aren't really an issue. I give him alot of attention because I spend alot of time in my room but no one else gives him any attention.

I would just keep him in your bedroom for the time being, and when you are around to supervise Dexter and the dog, bring him down into the kitchen or living room etc for an explore/play. Or if you have family or friends round, just bring him down then so he can get lots of cuddles! Your dog may be fine for now, but its not really worth the risk if you ask me! :D

Last edited:
Crash Bunny has free range of my kitchen/dining room, he has no cage but everything he needs from litter trays, burrow boxes, carrier bedroom, matts and toys. I use a babygate (which has been meshed and fixed to the wall) and also my kitchen door locks and the next door through the the lounge also locks.I spend all my time really in the kitchen at my desk so he is with me nearly all the time. My dog is trustworthy but i Never leave her alone with him because he is hormonal (snipping soon) and he goes for her.... She has spent all her life with rabbits who were old and slept next to her, he is feisty! but even in the past i would never leave her alone with them, they are locked through a gate and door while im out the house or in bed. If your household cant manage the stress of a rabbit around their feet while cooking, family life, visitors, cleaning, the dog needing to go outside.. the constant battle of keeping the gate closed because the rabbit wants to race around the house (crash is a nightmare at that! lol) then pick a room out of the main areas of the house that has less traffic and less interferance... with a rabbit in the kitchen it becomes a whole change of lifestyle. Its hectic and stressful at times, but then Crash isnt scared by anything, hes so friendly, so loving and a real bunny puppy. Cheeky! Weigh out the pros and cons first. also.. every rabbit ive had who came into my kitchen took a couple weeks to get used to the sounds and smells of cooking food, it frightened them. Its takes time to get used to living someplace quiet to someplace noisy, smelly, chaotic.. the hub of the house.

Back