• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I'm worried about my Rabbits ears/neck

thefuries

New Kit
Hello all,
At Christmas me and my partner got a Rabbit from our local pets at home.
This is him. His names Cullen and he's been such a wonder to take care of and love. (He's a house rabbit, doesn't go outside.)
For the few weeks (he's about 6 months old) we've noticed that on the outside of his ears/and at the top inside there's been small scabs that have been appearing, they've healed, but then they return. We put it down to him scratching to hard. (The cuts/scabs aren't that deep and they are large, quite small, but scattered. He has little ones in the insides of his ears, and well, at first, I panicked for it being ear mites, but his ears don't give off a bad smell and there isn't any cuts on the deep inside of his ears.) But then, a few days ago, we noticed he has a cut/scab about the size of my nail on my thumb on the back of his neck? It seems to be healing, i think, but I'm just really worried in case it's something dangerous that could be bad or hurt him. He's also has a small leaky eye, nothing to large, just sometimes it's a little wet underneath, but it only happened about 2/3 times since we got him.
I'm really bad for seeing stuff online and then freaking out and thinking he's got this horrible disease or what not.
I'm just wondering if anyone could give me advice? like if he's alright and it's nothing to worry about or if I should take him to the vet?

Thank you
Vincent x

Hello

Unfortunately we cant diagnose what may be the problem with your Rabbit, you do need to consult a Vet. The skin lesions may be due to him scratching himself a lot. Ear mites cant be ruled out just because there is no 'bad smell'.

The weepy eye needs investigating too. It could be a mild infection, or it could be a blocked nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) which may or may not be related to dental problems. Sometimes an allergy can cause weepy eyes, usually this would effect both eyes though. Wood shavings are often the cause of this type of allergic reaction.

A Vet check sooner rather than later would probably put your mind at ease, it would also give you the opportunity to discuss having your Rabbit neutered and vaccinated if this has not already been done

Good luck :)

Hello all,
At Christmas me and my partner got a Rabbit from our local pets at home.
This is him. His names Cullen and he's been such a wonder to take care of and love. (He's a house rabbit, doesn't go outside.)
For the few weeks (he's about 6 months old) we've noticed that on the outside of his ears/and at the top inside there's been small scabs that have been appearing, they've healed, but then they return. We put it down to him scratching to hard. (The cuts/scabs aren't that deep and they are large, quite small, but scattered. He has little ones in the insides of his ears, and well, at first, I panicked for it being ear mites, but his ears don't give off a bad smell and there isn't any cuts on the deep inside of his ears.) But then, a few days ago, we noticed he has a cut/scab about the size of my nail on my thumb on the back of his neck? It seems to be healing, i think, but I'm just really worried in case it's something dangerous that could be bad or hurt him. He's also has a small leaky eye, nothing to large, just sometimes it's a little wet underneath, but it only happened about 2/3 times since we got him.
I'm really bad for seeing stuff online and then freaking out and thinking he's got this horrible disease or what not.
I'm just wondering if anyone could give me advice? like if he's alright and it's nothing to worry about or if I should take him to the vet?

Thank you
Vincent x

Welcome to RU :wave:

What you are describing sounds like ear mites. They don't cause a smell, but are very painful for a rabbit, and would cause the scratching you describe.

It's very easily treated at the vet, so get him along to confirm the diagnosis.

You can also ask about the weepy eye. His immune system sounds like it's a bit run down and needs a bit of help at the moment. Please get him treated and come back to us with news of whatever's going on :D

I agree, it sounds like mites and the vet can give you some medicine that should clear those up. Unless it's a bad case that's gone untreated for a long time they don't smell, it can just make the skin look a little scabby/scalely.

The scab on his neck might be from him scratching as mites can make their ears/skin very itchy. The other possibility is vaccinations can sometimes cause a scab so if he had his recently it might be from that.

Whilst you're at the vet, ask if they'll help you cut his nails if you're worried they're a bit long. Normal scratching/grooming shouldn't cause any damage to the skin but slightly long nails combined with itchyness from mites can lead to scratches.

I concur that your bunny should go to the vet for an evaluation. It is usually less costly to treat an issue before it becomes major. A rabbit scratching until scabs form is not normal. Fur mites and/or fleas are also a possible reason for the scratching.

Back