• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny injury advice

Maddie220790

Young Bun
Hi,

This is my first post to this forum so I hope this is okay.
Basically, I just want some advice as I'm not entirely happy with the vet that I have taken my rabbit to.
I have an 8 month old rabbit (Peanut) who my boyfriend accidentally stood on on Tuesday. She was bleeding a lot from her nose and looked in a lot of pain so we took her straight to the vets who very briefly looked into her mouth and said she had broken an incisor. I have since checked this and it is true. She gave Peanut a painkiller and antibiotic and gave us some painkillers to take home which we have been giving her.
By Saturday, Peanut was moving and hopping around but still could not eat anything or drink any water. I took her back to the vet who gave us some recovery food to be administered via syringe which Peanut hates and won't accept without a struggle. This vet seemed to be a bit confused as to what to do also which has given me a bit of a scare which is why I am writing this post... She recommended that we book her in to have the incisor removed which is meant to happen tomorrow. Peanut has since been able to eat tiny amounts of cut up strawberries, celery, bananas and kale which I am aware can't just be given to a rabbit in large amounts due to sugar levels and such. I did try mixing pellets with water which she went for initially but then went off. She still can't or won't drink on her own. My concern is... is this the cause of just a broken tooth? Or is this possibly a jaw problem? Neither time has the vet offered to x-ray her and to be honest, they hardly really looked at her (partly because Peanut wouldn't let them).
I need some advice as to whether anyone has had a rabbit who has broken a tooth before and had it affect them in a similar way and whether anyone thinks that I should perhaps consult an alternative vet. Is it possible to ask specifically for them to x-ray her? I'm worried that I will pay to have her tooth removed and then it be a different issue which I won't be able to afford because I've paid for unnecessary treatment.
Any thoughts before tomorrow are much appreciated as I am unsure whether to take her to have the tooth extraction or not.
Thank you in advance!

Hi,

This is my first post to this forum so I hope this is okay.
Basically, I just want some advice as I'm not entirely happy with the vet that I have taken my rabbit to.
I have an 8 month old rabbit (Peanut) who my boyfriend accidentally stood on on Tuesday. She was bleeding a lot from her nose and looked in a lot of pain so we took her straight to the vets who very briefly looked into her mouth and said she had broken an incisor. I have since checked this and it is true. She gave Peanut a painkiller and antibiotic and gave us some painkillers to take home which we have been giving her.
By Saturday, Peanut was moving and hopping around but still could not eat anything or drink any water. I took her back to the vet who gave us some recovery food to be administered via syringe which Peanut hates and won't accept without a struggle. This vet seemed to be a bit confused as to what to do also which has given me a bit of a scare which is why I am writing this post... She recommended that we book her in to have the incisor removed which is meant to happen tomorrow. Peanut has since been able to eat tiny amounts of cut up strawberries, celery, bananas and kale which I am aware can't just be given to a rabbit in large amounts due to sugar levels and such. I did try mixing pellets with water which she went for initially but then went off. She still can't or won't drink on her own. My concern is... is this the cause of just a broken tooth? Or is this possibly a jaw problem? Neither time has the vet offered to x-ray her and to be honest, they hardly really looked at her (partly because Peanut wouldn't let them).
I need some advice as to whether anyone has had a rabbit who has broken a tooth before and had it affect them in a similar way and whether anyone thinks that I should perhaps consult an alternative vet. Is it possible to ask specifically for them to x-ray her? I'm worried that I will pay to have her tooth removed and then it be a different issue which I won't be able to afford because I've paid for unnecessary treatment.
Any thoughts before tomorrow are much appreciated as I am unsure whether to take her to have the tooth extraction or not.
Thank you in advance!

Welcome Maddie :wave:

So sorry you've this issue with your rabbit and now possibly with the vet.

I think you're right, the jaw could be fractured. Certainly I feel that it's a good idea to have a full X-ray of the head with a very good rabbit savvy vet. If you don't feel you have one, post a thread in Rabbit Health with the title "Rabbit Savvy vet needed in (your location)". You will get advice from members.

It's quite possible she would need the tooth out, which would probably entail having all incisors out - an expensive operation but rabbits manage well afterwards. Taking one incisor out isn't normally recommended, as there would be no opposing tooth for it to grind against. The vet may file it down whilst having the Xray to see whether it would grow straight again.

She will need to keep eating, syringing if necessary. Ella's Kitchen baby food is delicious - get some bunny varieties and mix it with critical care or ground up pellets.

I hope she's OK and good luck with your vet search :D

I am sorry to hear of the accident. It may be necessary for Xrays to be taken as unfortunately jaw fractures can occur and these are one cause of acquired Incisor malocclusion. Also, it would be important for Xrays to be taken if the Vet intended to extract the Incisor. Whether an extraction is actually necessary depends on the exact damage to the tooth. Rabbit's teeth grow continuously, so if the Incisor just has a broken crown it will regrow. But it will need careful monitoring to ensure that it grows back correctly aligned and does not cause problems for the other Incisors. If there is more serious damage then extraction may be a better option.

If the blood was the result of Peanut biting her tongue as the accident happened then that may take a few days to heal and stop hurting. If she only has a sipper bottle to drink from then I'd offer her water from a bowl. Using a sipper bottle would be painful if she has a sore tongue.

If you do not have confidence in the Vet you have already seen then you could start another thread over in Rabbit Chat asking for 'Rabbit Savvy Vet Recommendations' in your area.

Good luck and I hope Peanut feels better soon.

Thank you both for your replies!
I cancelled the dental booking with the first vet and got her in with another one who actually looked into her mouth and felt her more than the others! She is currently in the vets for an x-ray to see if her jaw is fractured, to remove the broken tooth and to have her tear ducts flushed as something is putting pressure on her eye. I'm really hoping she is okay as I've read waaaay too much about anesthetic and things in rabbits and as she hasn't eaten a lot I'm really worried :(
Will update as soon as I know more.

I cancelled the dental booking with the first vet and got her in with another one who actually looked into her mouth and felt her more than the others! She is currently in the vets for an x-ray to see if her jaw is fractured, to remove the broken tooth and to have her tear ducts flushed as something is putting pressure on her eye. I'm really hoping she is okay as I've read waaaay too much about anesthetic and things in rabbits and as she hasn't eaten a lot I'm really worried :(

I hope that all will go well for Peanut and that she will soon be feeling much better xx

You're very welcome :D

I hope it's nothing serious and that Peanut is OK

Look forward to your update x Good luck xx

Thank you so much for your support!
Picked Peanut up from the vets and they showed me the x-ray and that her jaw was fractured in a couple of places but they've said that it should be able to repair itself in a few weeks. Can anyone confirm that this is possible?
Her eye had really bulged this morning and they've put that down to bruising behind it which should also go down.
They didn't remove the tooth (as the previous vet had suggested was the problem), but trimmed them all so they were the same length and shouldn't cause her problems. They've given her a stronger pain killer too for the next few days and she has a check up on Friday.
She's now currently very sleepy after the anesthetic. Has anyone had a rabbit on anesthetic before? Do you know how long it takes roughly for it to wear off? She's a 2.02kg bunny if that helps!

Thank you so much for your support!
Picked Peanut up from the vets and they showed me the x-ray and that her jaw was fractured in a couple of places but they've said that it should be able to repair itself in a few weeks. Can anyone confirm that this is possible?
Her eye had really bulged this morning and they've put that down to bruising behind it which should also go down.
They didn't remove the tooth (as the previous vet had suggested was the problem), but trimmed them all so they were the same length and shouldn't cause her problems. They've given her a stronger pain killer too for the next few days and she has a check up on Friday.
She's now currently very sleepy after the anesthetic. Has anyone had a rabbit on anesthetic before? Do you know how long it takes roughly for it to wear off? She's a 2.02kg bunny if that helps!

I am so sorry the jaw is fractured, but I did suspect it, and am glad it's been discovered. Yes, in time it should heal itself, and also the bruising should go down as the blood behind the eye is absorbed back into the system.

Pain killers and anaesthetics will take 24 - 48 hours to wear off. Poor love, but she (and you) sounds like your all doing great guns now. I'm glad the tooth was trimmed down. Much less drastic than removing all the incisors!!

Sending much luck xx

Awh thank you! I'm hoping she eats in that time as she hates the syringe food they gave me! She much prefers the blended pellets and things! Thank you for your support!!

Back