• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What's wrong with the eyes of my new rescue rabbit?

hwadds

New Kit
Hi all

I yesterday adopted a rabbit from a rescue centre (which I found on Rabbit Rehome). I was told he has a clean bill of health, but he seems to have something wrong with his eyes. In the corners of both, by his nose, the whites of his eyes have what looks like a pink layer growing over it. I've attached a couple of photos https://goo.gl/photos/XHzwVQJcbkB5RsULA and https://goo.gl/photos/aJ5nwrGR77rnVRdZ8 - hopefully you guys can tell me what the issue might be and whether it's a problem.

It doesn't seem to be causing him any issues, he isn't rubbing his eye or anything, even when he is alone.

Thanks.

This looks to me like his 'third eyelid' (google third eyelid - humans dont have them).

It may be showing more than 'normal' because he is slightly stressed with the move.

Keep an eye on it (sorry) and see if it gets worse at all.

PS could only access one image.

This looks to me like his 'third eyelid' (google third eyelid - humans dont have them).

It may be showing more than 'normal' because he is slightly stressed with the move.

Keep an eye on it (sorry) and see if it gets worse at all.

PS could only access one image.

Yes, totally agree here :D

Hopefully nothing more to be concerned about x

Welcome to RU - stay around, there's loads of help and advice here! :wave:

Last edited:
I assume that you are referring to the area I have marked with an arrow ?

If so it is normal, it's the nictitating membrane ('third eyelid') :)

Only if it is protruding is there any need for concern

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Nictitating.htm

You've confirmed my conclusions after much panicked research! He's got really big eyes and you can actually see some of the white round the edges, which none of my other rabbits have had - so that explains my freak out :) I emailed the rescue too and was told it's normal for him. Thanks for all for responding and your help.

You've confirmed my conclusions after much panicked research! He's got really big eyes and you can actually see some of the white round the edges, which none of my other rabbits have had - so that explains my freak out :) I emailed the rescue too and was told it's normal for him. Thanks for all for responding and your help.

That's OK !

I'm glad you're reassured!

I have a rabbit who sounds (and looks) exactly the same. A bit disconcerting until you know it's normal for them :thumb:

Back