• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I shouldn't I...l

rowan.godfrey

Alpha Buck
I love my Conti's, I love them to pieces, but they are outdoor rabbits which naturally limits the time I can spend with them. I was vaguely looking at Nethie's a while ago with the idea of having a house rabbit. A cute 8 month old agouti Nethie has popped up on Gumtree (kid lost interest etc.) . I can afford him, I can afford to care for him, Insurance etc. He could live in my bedroom or living room, free range eventually I think.

I am home mornings, evenings & weekends. From what I observe of my Conti's they tend to tuck them selves away during the day anyway?

Should I ask about him dear RU'ers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you can afford him, and a companion for him, and they can fit in to your home/lifestyle well then you could always ask :) Have you thought about moving your current pair indoors if you really fancy the idea of indoor rabbits? Although I know some may prefer to be outdoors or you might have spent a lot of money/effort into their outdoor set up etc.

I love my Conti's, I love them to pieces, but they are outdoor rabbits which naturally limits the time I can spend with them. I was vaguely looking at Nethie's a while ago with the idea of having a house rabbit. A cute 8 month old agouti Nethie has popped up on Gumtree (kid lost interest etc.) . I can afford him, I can afford to care for him, Insurance etc. He could live in my bedroom or living room, free range eventually I think.

I am home mornings, evenings & weekends. From what I observe of my Conti's they tend to tuck them selves away during the day anyway?

Should I ask about him dear RU'ers?

He seems to be calling to you, and with everything you've said I think the answer is definitely yes!

He seems to have been on his own, and not getting any attention now, so life can only look up for him :D

I agree with MightyMax, the life you could offer him sounds so much better than the one he's getting now. And you've got the practicalities sorted out so I don't see any reason not to go for it :)

I have three rabbits, who live outside in a large shed/run complex independently of me for their emotional needs. I want them to be like that and enjoy observing them as rabbits.

That doesn't mean to say that I wouldn't also (selfishly) like a sole rabbit to live indoors, who would be bonded to me and not to another rabbit. It isn't feasible here, so practically it isn't an issue. But if it were, I would feel that I could justify it only if I took on a rabbit who for one reason or another was not able to be bonded with another rabbit.

So, in answer to your question, I don't think that in some circumstances it is wrong to have a sole house rabbit, but I would need to be able to justify it to myself depending on the circumstances.

Thanks all! I think in an ideal world my Conti boy would be an indoor rabbit but his sister would be a terror inside lol, she is definitely happiest outside!

A lot to think about - I'm not going to rush but will hold off until this weekend before I decide what to do. PetrasOwner ;) he is the spitting image of Petra.

I have three rabbits, who live outside in a large shed/run complex independently of me for their emotional needs. I want them to be like that and enjoy observing them as rabbits.

That doesn't mean to say that I wouldn't also (selfishly) like a sole rabbit to live indoors, who would be bonded to me and not to another rabbit. It isn't feasible here, so practically it isn't an issue. But if it were, I would feel that I could justify it only if I took on a rabbit who for one reason or another was not able to be bonded with another rabbit.

So, in answer to your question, I don't think that in some circumstances it is wrong to have a sole house rabbit, but I would need to be able to justify it to myself depending on the circumstances.

I agree wholeheartedly with this . good luck with your decision

I decided to go for it. I felt so sorry for him getting no attention, he had been on gumtree for about 3 weeks :( I collect him tomorrow. I only went for it on the basis that if at any point I feel he is getting bored/frustrated on his own I will get a friend for him. He will initially live in a pen in my spare room cum home office, then once I understand his litter habits, chewing, etc. I plan that he will have free range in my living room. He is neither vaccinated or neutered so this will need to happen asap but the vets want me to wait a few days before he goes in for his Vacc's.

Back