• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Perennial Kale - D'aubenton

rowan.godfrey

Alpha Buck
Hi All,

I mentioned in another thread that I am growing a Perennial Kale that the rabbits seem to love. It is called D'aubenton Kale (often spelt Daubenton). There is a plain green variant and a variegated variant.

Before (Planted Today):

75a3a88a562f36223d71742cc7ef62f4.jpg

After (Planted LY, approx 3ftx3ftx3ft):

1aaafacec91810778e35019eddd0027f.jpg

This variegated was also planted LY but had a rough start - it's catching up:

9bbb4df21452b30b0a81c9349cce7362.jpg

It can be found online. I net the young seedlings, but the grown plants seem to cope with the extensive bird life in my garden. I am currently harvesting daily off the large plant for the rabbits.

Possibly a good winter food I think as well!

I will link to a couple of suppliers in my next post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks really interesting :D

I was searching for some seeds to grow my own, as it's expensive per plant, but it doesn't seem to feature often?

As a perennial (up to 7-8 years as I understand) it doesn't readily flower or set seed, and is normally propagated by cutting. I do know of hobby breeders trying to force it to flower and set seed, but not of any commercially available seed. I do plan to have a go at propagating it and selling the plants but it's on a long list of "to do's".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a perennial (up to 7-8 years as I understand) it doesn't readily flower or set seed, and is normally propagated by cutting. I do know of hobby breeders trying to force it to flower and set seed, but not of any commercially available seed. I do plan to have a go at propagating it and selling the plants but it's on a long list of "to do's".

Yes, after your post I was searching and found a forum where it explained how to propagate from cuttings. There did seem to be someone around though who had some seeds. I guess it's extremely rare.

That's a very long lived plant then! Does it require any special feeding or anything?

Nope, nothing special, mine both got hit hard with aphids last year as young plants but recovered well. They seem fairly tough.

I am finding this much easier than normal seed sown kales so far. I'm a lazy gardener & this suits me down to the ground. The snails also rather enjoy it as a home!

I am finding this much easier than normal seed sown kales so far. I'm a lazy gardener & this suits me down to the ground. The snails also rather enjoy it as a home!

Are they enjoying it as late night dinner too? I don't find the normal seed sown kale too badly nibbled by slugs and snails.

There is some nibbling, but it doesn't seem badly impacted. I have a relatively light slug/snail load though. I think it may struggle in my parents more northern garden where the pressure is much higher!

Our garden is damp and a real slug and snail heaven. Still want to give this a go though.

Give it a go! The best thing about gardening is trying. I would net it to start with and maybe nestle a few blue pellets of death around the base?

Back