• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cody has nearly stopped eatting :(

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Cody is off his food alot more this morning. He ate a few softened pellets not his usual amount and a few springs I'd coriander. So I guess the time as come that further investigations are going to have to ge done. I just hope I can get him to eat a bit more until Tuesday morning as my vets r closed til then with the bank holiday. I have given him his metacam and tramadol this morning. I know some may think u should have taken him sooner but I was really trying to judge behaviour and to give the tramadol a chance and I didn't want to traumatise him with constant vet vis its - I was trying to get the balance right and not risk a GA if it weren't totally necessary. I hope it's some thing simple like his teeth. I hope he can hang in there as I am really worried about him now. Though what if it's his ear with the chronic infection, if it is what are the options here?? As I have asked many many times before is xray goING to show anything with regards to his ear or eye ?? Obviously it wil show teeth.

Maybe I should have went sooner after all :(

Cody is off his food alot more this morning. He ate a few softened pellets not his usual amount and a few springs I'd coriander. So I guess the time as come that further investigations are going to have to ge done. I just hope I can get him to eat a bit more until Tuesday morning as my vets r closed til then with the bank holiday. I have given him his metacam and tramadol this morning. I know some may think u should have taken him sooner but I was really trying to judge behaviour and to give the tramadol a chance and I didn't want to traumatise him with constant vet vis its - I was trying to get the balance right and not risk a GA if it weren't totally necessary. I hope it's some thing simple like his teeth. I hope he can hang in there as I am really worried about him now. Though what if it's his ear with the chronic infection, if it is what are the options here?? As I have asked many many times before is xray goING to show anything with regards to his ear or eye ?? Obviously it wil show teeth.

Maybe I should have went sooner after all :(

Nicky - have you got some baby food? Can you mush some basics and syringe him? I think you need to before he loses weight or he won't be strong enough for the GA.

An X Ray should show up what's going on with the ear, if taken at the correct angle. The teeth will mainly be seen by visual exam when under GA, but yes, they will show up on X Ray too.

Really thinking of you and willing Cody to pull through.

Let me know if you think there's anything I can do xx

I'm sorry Cody has lost his appetite:( He does cause you lots of worry that bun, understandably so. I can appreciate it is a difficult call when to do that vet visit. As a GA is looking really likely & he is eating something, do you think its worth syringe feeding to build him up in preparation might be worth it?

I'm sorry I can't answer what will show up on xray but wanted to send well wishes for code

Thanks Joey. Yes the poor gentle man is having a bad run of things at the moment. That's a good idea regarding the syringing for him to build him up as now xray looks inevitable. Thanks for ur kind wishes very appreciated x

Sorry Max never saw ur post. What type of baby food should I get - I have heard ellas kitchen mentioned here before and my Tesco have that. I also have tinned pumpkin in the cupboard too I heard once u could feed that so git it just in case. Thanks Max u r very kind and thanks for explaining about the xray. I hope I haven't made things worse for waiting too long xx

Max what r basic s ?? U mean the bunny basics t pellets ??? I do have critical care as well so what would be best do u think ??

Sending loads of vibes for Cody. It's a good plan to syringe feed him before he goes to the vets.

You're welcome, recovery food with pumpkin sounds a great start, if not Ellas kitchen & recovery food . Thats what I'd tryx

Sorry Max never saw ur post. What type of baby food should I get - I have heard ellas kitchen mentioned here before and my Tesco have that. I also have tinned pumpkin in the cupboard too I heard once u could feed that so git it just in case. Thanks Max u r very kind and thanks for explaining about the xray. I hope I haven't made things worse for waiting too long xx

:wave: That's OK - you've a lot on your mind right now!

Yes, I meant your bunny basics - or recovery food (critical care). I don't find it makes a difference. The main thing is anything that he will eat. Coriander and parsley and dill are sometimes good for tempting.

Yes I use Ella's Kitchen baby food. Apple carrot and parsnip, or apples and bananas I think mine like. Tinned pumpkin is really good and high in fibre, and it's recommended a lot in the States where I think it's more readily available. Only thing is, I would be wary opening a whole tin, as I never found mine would like it.

Good luck.

You really haven't made things worse by waiting. You know yourself how impossible it is to second guess these little blighters :) You also have to plan a bit cos your vet isn't round the corner.

Thanks Max that made me feel better. Well I went to Tesco when it opened and got parsley and basil and more coriander and he nibbled at some but not alot and ate a couple of pellets. So I syringe fed Cody about 15mls of critical care. He also got zantac and metacolpramide as my cisapride is out of date :( . Anyone know long u give between doses of zantac and metacolpramide? ? I forget . Cody isn't drinking as much but he has done a big pee just now but has left about 6 ceacatrophs in one go just now also. Is 15mls of critical care every 4 hrs a good plan??

Thanks Max that made me feel better. Well I went to Tesco when it opened and got parsley and basil and more coriander and he nibbled at some but not alot and ate a couple of pellets. So I syringe fed Cody about 15mls of critical care. He also got zantac and metacolpramide as my cisapride is out of date :( . Anyone know long u give between doses of zantac and metacolpramide? ? I forget . Cody isn't drinking as much but he has done a big pee just now but has left about 6 ceacatrophs in one go just now also. Is 15mls of critical care every 4 hrs a good plan??

Well done for the herbs! At least if he eats something it keeps his interest up.

15 mls of critical care every four hours sounds good :D What I do is vary the pouches of baby food mixed in with it, as I find they become bored and don't get excited about food. If they ever are excited to begin with that is! :)

I was always told to give metaclopromide and zantac 12 hours apart. You could also give Infacol (if you have it) and tummy rubs.

I hope you can get through the next day or so without trauma. And try not to worry. He sounds in good shape despite all :D

Yes I am trying to keep calm ! He is quite bright and was walking about a bit noseying as I have changed their set up so that Cody is a times penned in so u can monitor output etc which I think is good sign. Yes will mix up the Ellas stuff for variety. He was eatting some dandylions so we r going to pick some more shortly. Thanks for ur help xx

So as the day went on yesterday Codys interest in food slowly improved so I wondered if the tramadol was causing him problems. He has been having Tramadol most days at 10mg at least once a day and then 5mg twice a day sometimes as the vet said to experiment with dosages to see what dose is best. Anyhow I last syringe fed Code at 11pm last night and left loads of food and I checked at 3am this morning and the gorbe had eaten it all !!! He ate his grape this morning and is now nibin his pellets. I will have to watch him very closely to see how much he improves after stopping the tramadol but I defo think it was making him feel horrible. At the very least Cody eatting his food will make him strong enough for a GA

That's a fantastic update - go Cody ! Sounds like Tramadol might not suit him but you may have also stimulated his appetite through syringe feeding? Either way its good news & very hopeful x

Yes I was so relieved to see him eating again. I am wondering if this odd behaviour the last 2 weeks has been down to the tramadol? ? Though I see in my medication notes that I did a 3 day trial of no tramadol as I suspected it may be be upsetting him then and I dropped it to 5mg after that but yesterdayou upped it to the 10mg. Anyhow will just have to watch him to see. But thanks Joey x

So as the day went on yesterday Codys interest in food slowly improved so I wondered if the tramadol was causing him problems. He has been having Tramadol most days at 10mg at least once a day and then 5mg twice a day sometimes as the vet said to experiment with dosages to see what dose is best. Anyhow I last syringe fed Code at 11pm last night and left loads of food and I checked at 3am this morning and the gorbe had eaten it all !!! He ate his grape this morning and is now nibin his pellets. I will have to watch him very closely to see how much he improves after stopping the tramadol but I defo think it was making him feel horrible. At the very least Cody eatting his food will make him strong enough for a GA

Really really pleased to see this Nicky xx

You're very good at trying to be detective with Cody. You'll be able to become a bunny troubleshooter soon, with all the observations you've had to do over the years.

Great news and I hope he does well at the vet tomorrow. I'll be rooting for you all x

Good news :) It could be the Tramadol, as it's an opioid and all opioids have nausea as a common side effect for humans. It could also be your syringe-feeding, which has stimulated his appetite as it's made his tummy feel more settled. As they can't tell us how they feel, it's so very difficult to tell. Either way Cody is now in a better place and more ready for the vets.

I hope it all goes well for Cody's appointment.

Whilst I have never had a Rabbit who has had any adverse side effects from Tramadol it is possible that some Rabbits may be sensitive to it.

Metoclopromide can be given at the same time as Zantac (AKA Ranitidine), they work in completely different ways and on different parts of the GI tract. The only two prokinetics that need a gap between doses are Domperidone and Zantac

See page 4 on the video leaflet (click on 'View in Fullscreen' then use the side arrows to navigate to page 4)

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

Hope all goes well at the Vets tomorrow x

Oh and thanks for timing on meds too! No I don't think Cody will become too excited about his feeds either lol x

Yes, although you can give Zantac and Metaclopromide *together* .. even in the same syringe, my vet advised not to repeat the dose for another 12 hours. I find I have to keep a close eye so as not to get runny stools. Don't want another problem! :D

Back